- Centre for Bioscience
The Centre for Bioscience is one of 24 subject centres within the
Higher Education Academy. The Centre supports teaching in UK higher education to improve student learning across the biosciences.
The Centre is based at the
University of Leedsand works across the UK with individual academics, bioscience departments, professional bodies, employers and students to enhance and share effective practice to improve the student learning experience.
Publications and Resources
The Centre identifies and promotes information on effective practice, collates extensive resources, and publishes this information via its website and a range of other publications. The Centre has a peer-reviewed online journal, Bioscience Education E-journal, which publishes articles on tertiary-level bioscience education. The Centre's ImageBank contains more than 5000 bioscience images, copyright-cleared for non-profit educational use. The Centre also publishes the Teaching Bioscience – Enhancing Learning Series of teaching guides, which provide an accessible introduction to the underlying pedagogy, plus examples and practical advice on topics such as self– and peer–assessment, and e–learning.
Each year the Centre offers grants to individuals (of up to £3,000) and departments (of up to £15,000) for the development, establishment or validation of innovative learning, teaching and assessment materials or methods.
The Centre offers a range of
Continuing Professional Developmentevents aimed primarily at staff involved in teaching or supporting students studying for bioscience degrees. The Science Learning and Teaching Conference is a biennial conference organised by the subject centres for Bioscience and Physical Sciences, and the UK Centre for Materials Education.
* [Centre for Bioscience website (http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk)]
* [Bioscience Education E-journal (http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/journal/)]
* [Teaching Bioscience Enhancing Learning Guides (http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/)]
* [Centre for Bioscience ImageBank (http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/imagebank/)]
* [Science Learning and Teaching Conference (http://www.sltc.heacademy.ac.uk)]
* [Higher Education Academy (http://www.heacademy.ac.uk)]
* [Subject Centres (http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/SubjectNetwork.htm)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.