GeoRSS is an emerging standard for encoding location as part of an
RSSfeed. "(RSS is an XMLformat used to describe feeds ("channels") of content, such as news articles, MP3 play lists, and blog entries. These RSS feeds are rendered by programs such as aggregators and web browsers.)"
In GeoRSS, location content consists of geographical points, lines, and polygons of interest and related feature descriptions. GeoRSS feeds are designed to be consumed by geographic software such as map generators. By building these encodings on a common information model, the GeoRSS collaboration hopes to promote interoperability and "upwards-compatibility" across encodings.
At this point, the GeoRSS collaboration has completed work on two primary encodings which they call GeoRSS GML and GeoRSS Simple. GeoRSS GML is a formal OGC GML Application Profile, and supports a greater range of features than Simple, notably coordinate reference systems other than WGS84 latitude/longitude. There is also a W3C geo GeoRSS serialization, which is older and partly deprecated but still most widely used.
GeoRSS can be used to extend both RSS 1.0 and 2.0, as well as Atom, the IETF's latest standard for feeds.
Here's a GeoRSS Simple example using Atom.
Earthquakes International earthquake observation labs 2005-12-13T18:30:02Z Dr. Thaddeus Remor firstname.lastname@example.org urn:uuid:60a76c80-d399-11d9-b93C-0003939e0af6 M 3.2, Mona Passage urn:uuid:1225c695-cfb8-4ebb-aaaa-80da344efa6a 2005-08-17T07:02:32Z We just had a big one. 45.256 -71.92
Here is a schema fragment for a GeoRSS GML encoding for RSS 2.0
http://maps.google.com Cambridge Neighborhoods One guy's view of Cambridge, MA> 00000111c36421c1321d3 Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:16:31 +0000 Central Square The heart and soul of the "old" Cambridge. Depending on where you stand, you can feel like you're in the 1970s or 2020.> rajrsingh -71.106216 42.366661 -71.105576 42.367104 -71.104378 42.367134 -71.103729 42.366249 -71.098793 42.363331 -71.101028 42.362541 -71.106865 42.366123 -71.106216 42.366661 00000111c365564928974 Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:17:50 +0000 MIT Massachusetts Institute of Technology> rajrsingh
Here is example of W3C geo GeoRSS
USGS M5+ Earthquakes Real-time, worldwide earthquake list for the past 7 dayshttp://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/ U.S. Geological Survey Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:56:15 PST Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:24:17 GMT M 5.3, northern Sumatra, Indonesia December 28, 2007 05:24:17 GMThttp://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2007llai.php 5.5319 95.8972
Examples of GeoRSS Implementations
GeoNetwork opensource: [http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/srv/en/rss.latest?georss=simple Simple] and [http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/srv/en/rss.latest?georss=gml GML] -feeds.
* [http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/catalogs/eqs7day-M5.xml USGS Real-time, worldwide earthquake list for the past 7 days] (W3C GeoRSS)
* [http://georss.mit.edu/cambridgeevents.php Cambridge Events on next 7 days] (GML GeoRSS)
Usage and implementation
Google Maps: [http://googlemapsapi.blogspot.com/2007/03/kml-and-georss-support-added-to-google.html Google Maps API blog posting] on Google support for the Simple, GML, and W3C Geo encodings of GeoRSS
* [http://developer.yahoo.com/maps/georss/index.html Yahoo Maps] , a reference on using GeoRSS in the Yahoo Maps Web Services.
Virtual Earth: [http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa972905.aspx Microsoft Virtual Earth support] for GeoRSS geo, simple, and GML.
* [http://georss.org/geopress GeoPress] WordPress and MovableType plugins for adding GeoRSS to your blog.
* [http://drupal.org/project/georss GeoRSS Module] Drupal module for adding GeoRSS to your Drupal website.
* [http://mapufacture.com Mapufacture] GeoRSS Feed Aggregator. Here you can layer multiple GeoRSS feeds from different sources into a single map, and search the database of GeoRSS feeds by keyword and location.
* [http://www.lgbtn.com/map/ LGBTN News Map] World map layered with a GeoRSS tagged
Open source projects
* [http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/georss.html Openlayers] Demo using the OpenLayers GeoRSS parser
* [http://worldkit.org/doc/rss.php Worldkit] Both GeoRSS Simple and GeoRSS GML are supported.
* [http://www.cadcorp.co.uk/resources_digital_mapping/cadcorp_sis_plugins.htm CadCorp] GeoRSS Plug-in for CadCorp SIS.
* [http://www.cubewerx.com/main/PDFs/CubeSERV_WFS.pdf CubeWerx WFS] The new release of the CubeWerx OGC Web Feature Service product supports GeoRSS GML.
* [http://www.ionicsoft.com/templates/home.php?page=91&lng=en&text=Key%20Features Ionic/Leica Geosystems] The use of GeoRSS in Ionic redSpider products
* [http://wondersoftheworld.idvsolutions.com/default.aspx IDV Solutions Wonders of the World] IDV showcases GeoRSS support in their Visual Fusion product.
* [http://www.brightisolutions.com GeoFeeder] Converts Shape, KML/KMZ, GML, AutoCad and MapInfo files to GeoRSS
* [http://www.bayofislands.net/ Bay of Islands] Contains GeoRSS information about local accommodation
Fun Sites Based on GeoRSS
* [http://www.twittervision.com Twitter Updates from World]
* [http://www.flickrvision.com Flickr Updates from World]
Geospatial Content Management System
Atom (standard), the IETF's XML-based Web syndication format.
RSS- Really Simple Syndication.
* [http://www.georss.org/ georss.org] , web site for GeoRSS specifications and examples
* [http://www.opengeospatial.org/pt/06-050r3 OGC Whitepaper (pdf)] , Open Geospatial Consortium: An Introduction to GeoRSS.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.