- Guardamar del Segura
Guardamar del Segura is a
municipalityof the province of Alicante located at the mouth of the river Segurain southern Valencia (autonomous community)( Spain). It is a Mediterranean resort, with a large pine forest abutting an 11-km-long white sand beach.
Historically an area of fishermen and farmers, Guardamar del Segura is the southernmost point where the Valencian is spoken.
A Phoenician colony called Alonis was the first settlement, and later Arabs called the place Guald-a-amar (River of the Sand), likely the basis for its name today. Besides that, Guardar means safekeeping and mar means ocean in the spanish language , possibly another basis for its name today.
Guardamar hosts local fiestas like Moros i Cristians,
L'Encantà, and Fogueres de Sant Joan, which commemorate its history (Iberic, Arab, and Christian). The local spirit is called Aigua de València (champagne, fresh orange, cointreau).
Points of interests
Torreta de Guardamar, a radio mast of US military and the second tallest structure in European Union.
* [http://www.flickr.com/photos/22250765@N07/sets/72157603682793908/detail/ Photos of Guardamar]
* [http://www.cyberia-internet-cafe-guardamar-del-segura.com/guardamar_information.html Up to date information about Guardamar del Segura with quality photographs]
* [http://www.GuardamarInformation.com/ Information for Guardamar del Segura, on the Costa Blanca in Spain]
* [http://www.guardamar.com GUARDAMAR.com]
* [http://www.amguardamar.es/ Agrupación Musical de Guardamar del Segura]
* [http://www.guardamardelsegura.com guardamardelsegura.com]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.