- Bucyrus International
Bucyrus International, Inc. is a manufacturer of heavy mining equipment. Founded in
Bucyrus, Ohioin 1880, the headquarters were moved to its current location in South Milwaukee, Wisconsinin 1893.
They were an early producer of
steam shovels. Its products now include large electric rope shovels, walking draglines, and rotary blasthole drills for the surface mining industry. Formerly Bucyrus-Erie (from their 1927 merger with the Erie Steam Shovel Company, then the country's leading manufacturer of small excavators).In 1930 Bucyrus joined up with the English firm of Ruston & HornsbyLtd of Lincoln, Englandto form the firm of Ruston-BucyrusLtd in England. Ruston & Hornsby Ltd were the pre-eminent manufactures of Steam excavators at the time, having started in 1874. This merger gave then access to world markets, not previously available.They sold their share in Ruston-Bucyrus in 1985, during a period of recession and consolidation in the Mining industry, as they divested themselves of non core businesses to survive.They built hundreds of large mining machines, as well as construction equipment, in an intense competition against competitor Marion Power Shovel. Bucyrus acquired Marion Power Shovelin 1997. It markets equipment under the brands Bucyrus, Bucyrus-Erie, Marion, and Ransomes & Rapierof Ipswich, England. In May 2007, Bucyrus acquired the DBT Group from the RAG Group of Germany. DBT manufactures underground mining equipment that complements the current surface machinery line.
* The Machine 4250-W walking dragline
Big Muskiewas built in 1969, with a 220 yd bucket and weighed 14,400 tons.
* The two 3850-B stripping shovels built in 1962 and 1964, with bucket capacities of 115 yds. and 145 yds.
* The 2570-W or WS, one of B-E's most popular dragline models with bucket capacities between 120 and 160 yds.
The Silver Spadeand its twin the GEM of Egypt, 1950B Stripping shovels, was built in 1965 and 1967 respectively, with a capacity of 80 cu m 105 Cu yds bucket
* The Strippng shovel
Big Brutusa 1850-B was built in 1962 , with a 69 cu m 90 Cu yds bucket.
* The 1250-B/W and 1260-W walikng draglines, with buckets between 33 and 45 yards
* The 5-W walking dragline, carrying a 5 yd. bucket and produced until around 1970
* Bucyrus - Making the Earth Move for 125 years by Keith Haddock Published by MBI for Bucyrus ISBN 0-7603-2286-4
* [http://www.bucyrus.com/ Official Website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.