- Woodlawn High School (Birmingham, Alabama)
Woodlawn High School is a magnet high school serving about 600 students in the Woodlawn neighborhood of
Birmingham, Alabama( USA) and is part of the Birmingham City Schoolssystem.
The mascot is the Colonels, and the school colors are green and gold. The school newspaper is "The Tattler". The principal is Shirley Graham.
Woodlawn High School was established in 1916 after Woodlawn was annexed into Birmingham. The present building on 1st Avenue North, designed by architect Harry B. Wheelock, was completed January 30, 1922 for an initial enrollment of 700.
A large mural in the high school's auditorium was painted between 1934 and 1939 by
Sidney van Sheckand Richard Blauvelt Coefor the Works Progress Administration. A campaign is underway to raise $190,000 for restoration of the mural.
The "Warblers" are a men's chorus that started as a singing club at Woodlawn, active from 1929 to 1977. Most current Warblers members are alumni of the Woodlawn club. In 1956 the Woodlawn debate team, coached by Rose B. Johnson, won the inaugural Barkley Forum, a prestigious debate tournament at
Emory Universityin Atlanta, Georgia. Woodlawn's Junior R.O.T.C. program has been active since 1922 and has started the military careers of numerous officers in the U.S. Military.
Under legendary multi-sport coach John Blane, Woodlawn's basketball team won state championships in 1927, 1937, 1943, and 1957 while the track team won state titles in 1932, 1944, 1945 and 1946. He coached Woodlawn against Phillips High School in the first game ever held at
Legion Fieldin 1927.
Bobby Bowden(1948), football coach
Jim Carns, Alabama Legislature
Karlos Dansby, NFL football player
Vince Gibson(1951), football coach
Harry Gilmer(1943), All American football player and coach. University of Alabama, Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions
Mike Hale(1969), Jefferson County sheriff
Paul Hemphill, author
Tony Nathan, former NFL Running back, Miami Dolphins, current coach
Terry Oden, Mayor of Mountain Brook, Al
Oliver Robinson(1957), basketball player, state legislator
* Betsy Rogers, 2003
National Teacher of the Year
* Woodlawn Housing Initiative. "History of the Woodlawn Neighborhood." Woodlawn Community Information System. [http://www.uab.edu/woodlawn/woodlawn_history.html] - accessed March 25, 2006
* Torres, Ailene. (June 2005) "A new beginning: Despite man challenges, students in Ensley defy the odds." "Birmingham Post-Herald".
* [http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Woodlawn_High_School Woodlawn High School] at BhamWiki.com
* [http://www.sollicito.net/whsreunion/ Woodlawn classes of 1969-71] reunion web site
* [http://www.atwalker.com/pcb/school/school12.html Woodlawn H.S. postcard] at Postcard Birmingham
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.