- Ludwig Kalisch
name = Ludwig Kalisch
birthname = Ludwig Kalisch
birthdate = birth date|1814|09|07
deathdate = death date and age|1882|03|03|1814|09|07
occupation = novelist
When only twelve years of age he left his home and became successively pedler, merchant, and teacher. He saved enough money to carry him through matriculation and the study of medicine and, later, languages and literature in
Heidelbergand Munich. Settling in Mainzin 1843, he became editor of the " Narrhalla" (1843-46). A participant in the revolution of 1848-49, he was forced to leave Germany. He went to Paris, in 1850 to London, and from 1851 onward lived in Paris.
Kalisch's forte was the humorous
ballad. Many of his writings appeared in the " feuilletons" of the newspapers and in magazines.
Of those published separately may be mentioned:
* "Das Buch der Narrheit," Mainz, 1845;
* "Schlagschatten," ib. 1845;
* "Poetische Erzählungen," ib. 1845;
* "Shrapnels," Frankfurt am Main, 1849;
* "Paris und London," ib. 1851;
* "Heitere Stunden," Berlin, 1872;
* "Bilder aus Meiner Knabenzeit," Leipzig, 1872;
* "Gebunden und Ungebunden," Munich, 1876;
* "Pariser Leben," Mainz, 1881, 2d ed. 1882.
Bibliography of Jewish Encyclopedia
Meyers Konversations-Lexikon":JewishEncyclopedia|Kalisch Ludwig::By : Isidore Singer& Frederick T. Haneman:Meyers|Kalisch Ludwig
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.