- Annemarie Schimmel
name = Annemarie Schimmel
image_size = 250px
caption = Glass plate in the Bonngasse;
April 7, 1922
January 26, 2003
Doctorateof civilization and languages, doctorate of religious history.
occupation = Iranologist,
Islamic studies, Sufismstudies, Iqbalstudies
She received a doctorate in Islamic languages and civilization from the
University of Berlinat the age of nineteen. At twenty-three, she became a professor of Arabic and Islamic studies at the University of Marburg(Germany) in 1946, where she earned a second doctorate in the history of religions in 1954.
A turning point in her life came in 1954 when she was appointed Professor of the History of Religion at the
University of Ankara( Turkey). There she spent five years teaching in Turkish and immersing herself in the culture and mystical tradition of the country. She was a faculty member at Harvard Universityfrom 1967 to 1992 and became Professor Emerita of Indo-Muslim Culture upon her retirement. She was also an honorary professor at the University of Bonn. She published more than 100 books on Islamic literature, mysticismand culture, and translated Persian, Urdu, Arabic, Sindhiand Turkish poetryand literature into English and German.
For her work on
Islam, Sufismor mysticismand Muhammad Iqbal, the government of Pakistan honored her with one of its highest civil awards of known as Hilal-e-Imtiazor 'Crescent of Excellence'. She was showered with many other awards from many countries of the world, including "Leopold Lucas Prize" of the "Evangelisch-Theologische" Faculty of the University of Tübingenand 1995 prestigious Peace Prize of the German Book Trade. This award caused a controversy in Germany, as she had defended the outrage of the Islamic world against Salman Rushdie in a TV-interview.
Works by Annemarie Schimmel
* As Through A Veil
* And Muhammad Is His Messenger: The Veneration of the Prophet in Islamic Piety
* A Dance of Sparks: Imagery of Fire in Ghalib's Poetry
* A Two-Colored Brocade: The Imagery of Persian Poetry
* Deciphering the Signs of God: A Phenomenological Approach to Islam (1991-1992
Gifford Lectures, [http://www.giffordlectures.org/Browse.asp?PubID=TPDSOG&
Gabriel's Wing: Study into the Religious Ideas of Sir Muhammad Iqbal
* Mystical Dimensions of Islam
* Rumi's World : The Life and Works of the Greatest Sufi Poet
* Look! This Is Love
* The Triumphal Sun: A Study of the Works of Jalaloddinn
* Islam: An Introduction
* Islamic Calligraphy
* Make A Shield From Wisdom : Selected Verses from Nasir-i Khusraw's Divan
* Ernst Trumpp;: A brief account of his life and work
* The Mystery of Numbers
* Islam and the Wonders of Creation: The Animal Kingdom. (2003)
*Famous Americans in Iran
* [http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/12.16/31-mm.html Harvard link]
* [http://www.naghed.net/Maghale_ha/Schimmel_farzane.htm Biography of Annemarie Schimmel (in Persian)]
* [http://www.naghed.net/Sokhanrani_ha/iqbale_Schimmel.htm Annemarie Schimmel and Muhammad Iqbal] Lecture of
Khosro Naghedin Tehraner university. (in German/Persian)
* [http://www.allamaiqbal.com/schimmel.htm An Obituary]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.