- Stuart MacRae
Stuart MacRae (born 12 August 1976,
Inverness, Scotland) is a British composer.
Stuart MacRae studied at
Durham Universitywith Philip Cashian and Michael Zev Gordon, and subsequently with Simon Bainbridgeand Robert Saxtonat the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. By his mid-twenties he was writing astonishingly original and powerfully expressive works, and was receiving commissions from organisations such as the BBC and the London Sinfonietta as well as being appointed Composer-in-Association with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. Often inspired by aspects of the natural landscape, MacRae’s style draws on various strands of European modernism, including the music of Igor Stravinsky, Elliott Carter, Iannis Xenakisand most significantly Peter Maxwell Davies.
* 1993-7 - studies at Durham University, then
Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
* 1996 - finalist in Lloyd’s Bank Young Composers’ workshop.
* 1997 - premiere of "The Witch’s Kiss" with
BBC Philharmonic Orchestraand Peter Maxwell Davies.
* 1999-2003 - Composer-in-Association of BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.
* 2001 - MacRae portrait concert conducted by
James MacMillanat Edinburgh Festival.
* 2001 - "Violin Concerto" premiered at
* "The Witch’s Kiss" (1997; chamber ensemble)
* "Sleep at the Feet of Daphne" (1999; orchestra)
* "Violin Concerto" (2001)
* "Ancrene Wisse" (2002; choir, orchestra)
* "Motus" (2003; chamber ensemble)
* "Three Pictures" (2005; orchestra)
* "The Assassin Tree" (2006; opera)
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2441&State_2934=2&discId_2934=1036 "The City Inside"] - Black Box BBM1058
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2441&State_2934=2&discId_2934=1266 "Piano Sonata"] - Delphian DCD 34009
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2441&State_2934=2&discId_2934=1665 "Tol-Pedn"] - Kairos 0012442KAI
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2431&State_2905=2&composerId_2905=974 Stuart MacRae's homepage at Novello & Co.]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.