- Broken beat
Broken beat is an
electronic music genrewhich can be characterized by syncopated rhythm typically in 4/4 metre, with staggered or punctuated snare beats and/or hand claps.
It first appeared at the end of the 20th century and was pioneered by
IG Culture. Appearing in the western parts of London, the genre is also referred to as West London, mainly because Goya Music's offices were in London's Ladbroke Grove, W11, as were most of the participating artists studios. Regular nights which play this genre of music include Co-op which was held at Plastic Peoplefor a number of years before re-launching at East Village - both in Shoreditch. In 2008 monthly Co-Op sessions were launched at Concrete in Birmingham, UK. Another night worth mentioning is Inspiration Information previously at Notting Hill Arts Clubbut now at East Village in Shoreditch. Elsewhere, DJs from the Kyoto Jazz Massiveregularly play at The Room in Tokyo. Distribution outlet Goya Musicplayed an influential role in establishing the early UK sound, supporting early labels such as People, Bita Sweet, Mainsqueeze and numerous others.
Artists in this area mostly have a
drum and bass, house, hip hop, techno or acid jazzbackground. As a result of these various influences, broken beat is sometimes considered more sophisticated than regular dance music, on the scale of jazz, soulor funk. Broken beat also has its roots in 70's jazz fusion and has been influenced by artists such as Lonnie Liston Smith, The Mizell Brothers (producers for Donald Byrd, Bobbi Humphreyand Johnny Hammondin the mid-70's), Herbie Hancock, George Duke, and others. One might also hear echos of Disco, 80's Rn'B ( Shalamar, Prince), early Electronica( Kraftwerk), hip hop ( Planet Rock), 80s New Wave ( Depeche Mode, New Order), House and Techno in Broken beat. IG Cultureis credited with kick-starting the scene with his New Sector Movements releases for People Music. The transition was to a more abstract form of drum and bass. Many artists that started releasing through 4hero's Reinforced label are now considered as the pioneers of broken beat (a landmark artist for the label being Sonar Circle aka Domu). Meanwhile in Detroit, established technoartists like Carl Craigand Stacey Pullenexperimented with the music they were making, trying to add jazzelements and breaks to their sound. As the music is still based on classic Detroit techno and usually has a harder sound, it is sometimes referred to as "broken techno". This eclectic mixture was picked up by the Detroit and jazz affiliated UK techno producers Kirk Degiorgioor As Oneand Ian O'Brien, who tried to form it into a more soulful variation which further influenced the development of the broken beat genre.In Birmingham dj/promoter Bruce Q (Heralded as the first to have introduced BB to the midlands)has had one of the most prolific Broken Beat/jazz nights in the country.
Popular names in the genre are
Bugz in the Attic, Seiji, Kaidi Tatham, Domu, Afronaught, IG Culture, Stephane and Alex Attias, New Zealandborn Mark de Clive-Lowe, 4hero( Degoand Marc Mac), Manchester's Phuture Lounge collective - Daco, Jonny Miller and label boss Maddslinky Zed Bias, Somatik, and Opolopo. In the U.S. prominent artists are Detroitbased Titonton Duvanté, John Arnold, Jeremy Ellisaka Ayro, and Recloose(now based in New Zealand), Harlembased Spymusic, and Philadelphiabased King Britt.
* [http://www.goyamusic.com Goya Music]
* [http://i.coopr8.net Coopr8]
* [http://www.opolopo.com OPOLOPO]
* [http://www.brokenbeatradio.com BrokeN'Beat Radio]
* [http://www.groovedis.com Groove Distribution]
* [http://www.bagpak.net/ Bagpak Music]
* [http://www.dom-uniqueproductions.co.uk/ Domu's Homepage]
* [http://www.beyondjazz.net/ Beyond Jazz]
* [http://www.commercial-break.biz/ Commercial Break]
* [http://www.clubbity.com/ Clubbity]
* [http://www.federation.inyc.com/ Federation NYC]
* [http://www.respektradiokollektiv.com/ RespektRadioKollektiv]
* [http://elevations.bagpakmusic.com/ Elevations]
* [http://www.2000black.com 2000Black]
* [http://www.twistedfunk.co.uk Twisted Funk]
* [http://www.antipodean.mashibeats.com/ Antipodean]
* [http://www.sunshine.at Sunshine Enterprises]
* [http://www.facesrecords.com/ Faces]
* [http://www.kindred-spirits.nl Kindred Spirits]
* [http://www.rawfusionrec.com Raw Fusion]
* [http://www.ptrmusic.com Public Transit Recordings]
* [http://www.ubiquityrecords.com Ubiquity]
* [http://www.futureelements.ca Future Elements]
* [http://www.suntzusound.com Sun Tzu Sound]
* [http://www.fastfwd.md/home Fast FWD]
* [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:12976 AMG Allmusic: Broken Beat]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.