- Bits and Bytes
"Bits and Bytes" was the name for two
Canadian television series, starring Billy Van, who teaches people the basics of how to use a computer. The first series debuted in 1983and the second series, called "Bits and Bytes 2", in 1991. The first series also included popular comedian Luba Goyas the instructor to Van. The series were produced by TVOntario.
The original series featured an unusual presentation format whereby Luba Goy as the instructor would address Billy Van through a remote video link. The video link would appear to Luba who was seated in an office on a projection screen in front of her. She was then able to direct Billy who appeared on a soundstage with various desktop computer setups of the era. Popular systems emphasized included the
Atari 800, Commodore PET, Tandy TRS-80, and Apple II. Each episode also included short animated vignettes to explain key concepts, as well as videotaped segments on various developments in computing. In the new 1991 series, Billy Van assumed the role of instructor (Luba Goy did not return) and taught a new female student. As a decade had passed, the new series focused primarily on IBM PC compatibles (i.e. Intel-based 286 or 386 computers) running DOS and earlier versions of Windows, as well as the newer and updated technologies of that era.
* Program 1: Getting Started
* Program 2: Ready-Made Programs
* Program 3: How Programs Work?
* Program 4: File & Data Management
* Program 5: Communication Between Computers
* Program 6: Computer Languages
* Program 7: Computer-Assisted Instruction
* Program 8: Games & Simulations
* Program 9: Computer Graphics
* Program 10: Computer Music
* Program 11: Computers at Work
* Program 12: What Next?
* Original Music - Harry Forbes, George Axon
* Animation Voice - Fred Napoli
* Animation - Grafilm Productions Inc.
* Consultants -
Jim Butterfield, David Humphreys, Mike H. Stein, Jo Ann Wilton
* Unit Manager - Rodger Lawson
* Production Editor - Michael Kushner
* Production Assistant - Geroge Pyron
* Executive Producer - Mike McManus
* Director - Stu Beecroft
* Written & Produced by - Denise Boiteau and David Stansfield
* [http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/bits.html Fansite with more information about the show]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.