- The Cripple of Inishmaan
The Cripple of Inishmaan is a dark comedy by
Martin McDonaghwho links the story to the real life filming of the documentary Man of Aran.
Set on the small
Aran Islandscommunity of Inishmaanoff the Western Coast of Ireland, circa 1934, the inhabitants are excited to learn of a Hollywood film crew's arrival in neighbouring Inishmoreto make a documentary about life on the islands. "Cripple" Billy Claven, eager to escape the gossip, poverty and boredom of Inishmaan, vies for a part in the film, and to everyone's surprise, the orphan and outcast gets his chance. [cite web|url=http://www.curtainup.com/cripple.html|title=The Cripple Of Inishmaan: A CurtainUp Review|accessdate=2006-05-09]
The Cripple of Inishmaan opened in 1997 at
Royal National Theatre(Cottesloe) in London. [cite web|url=http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=8209|title=National Theatre: Past Productions: 1996-2000|accessdate=2006-05-09] In 1998, it opened at Joseph Papp Public Theaterin New York City, again with Ruaidhri Conroyin the title role. [cite web|url=http://www.publictheater.org/view.php?mode=eventdisplay&eventid=780&past=1&returnURL=%2Fcelebrating%2Fpast_view.php%3Fdecade%3D1990|title=The Public Theater: Past Productions: The Cripple of Inishmaan|accessdate=2006-05-09] In the same year, Frederick Koehlerplayed Billy in Los Angeles.
* Billy Claven, a crippled orphan
* Kate Osborn, Billy's
adoptiveaunt who has been known to talk to stones
* Eileen Osborn, Billy's other adoptive aunt and Kate's sister
* Johnnypateenmike, the town gossip
* Helen McCormick, a tough girl Billy has had a crush on for some time
* Bartley McCormick, Helen's brother
* Babbybobby Bennett, a boatman whose wife died of
* Doctor McSharry, the town
* Mammy O'Dougal, Johnnypateenmike's alcoholic 90 year-old mother
* McDonagh, Martin. "The Cripple of Inishmaan". Methuen Modern Plays. 1997. (Hardcover) ISBN 0-413-71590-6
* McDonagh, Martin. "The Cripple of Inishmaan". Vintage International. 1998. (Paperback) ISBN 0-375-70523-6
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.