- Uwais al-Qarni
region = Muslim Scholar
era = Medieval Islamic Era
color = #B0C4DE
name = "'Uwais al-Qarni"'
birth = Unknown
death = 657 A.D.
Uwais al-Qarni or "Oways b. Anis al-Qarni" "Oveys Gharani" or "Veysel Karani"(
Arabic: أويس بن انيس القرني) (died 657A.D.) was a Muslimresident of Qaran in Yemenwho lived during the lifetime of Muhammad, and is considered a Tabi'i. His grave is in Baykanin the Siirt Provinceof Turkey.
Qarni converted to
Islamduring Muhammad's lifetime, though they never met in person. Following the death of Muhammad in 632 CE, Qarni did meet Umarand Ali.
Not long after this meeting Qarni left Qaran for
Kufa, in modern day Iraq. He fought for Ali against the army of Muawiyahand was killed at the Battle of Siffinin 657. [Attar, "Muslim Saints and Mystics", trans. A.J. Arberry, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1983]
* [http://www.mtoshahmaghsoudi.org Maktab Tarighat Oveyssi Shahmaghsoudi (School of Islamic Sufism)]
* [http://www.answering-ansar.org/answers/azadari/azadari.pdf The Extreme Mourning of Uwais al-Qarni, Shia Website]
* [http://www.mtoshahmaghsoudi.org/website/PDF/sufismGeneology.pdf Islamic Sufism Genealogy, November 2004, Tehran University Publications]
* [http://naqshbandi.org/topics/uwaysi.htm The Uwaisi Transmission of Spiritual Knowledge (Naqshbandi-Haqqani website)]
* [http://www.sunnah.org/history/Uwais_al_Qarani.htm About Uwais al-Qarni, from "The Children Around the Table of Allah," by Shaykh Muhammad Sa'id al-Jamal ar-Rifa'i]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.