- Sati (practice)
Devanagari: सती, the feminine of "sat" "true") (also suttee)
Following the outcry after the "Sati" of
Roop Kanwar, [Citation | last = Rajalakshmi | first = T.K. | title = `Sati' and the verdict | journal = Frontline Magazine, The Hindu| volume = 21 | issue = 5 | pages = | date= February 28 - March 12 | year = 2004 | url = http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2105/stories/20040312002504600.htm ] the Indian Government enacted the Rajasthan Sati Prevention Ordinance, 1987 on October 1 1987[ [http://www.sabrang.com/cc/archive/2004/mar04/sreport3.html Trial by fire] , "Commmunalism Combat", Special Report, February-March 2004 , Volume 10, No.96, Sabrang Communications.] and later passed the Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987.
The "Prevention of Sati Act" makes it illegal to abet, glorify or attempt to commit Sati. Abetment of Sati, including coercing or forcing someone to commit Sati can be punished by Death Sentence or
Life imprisonment, while glorifying Sati is punishable with 1-7 years in Prison.
However, enforcement of these measures is not always consistent. [cite news | title = No violation of Sati Act, say police | url = http://www.hindu.com/2005/06/01/stories/2005060110150500.htm | publisher =
The Hindu| date = June 6 2005| accessdate = 2007-11-20] Prohibitions of certain practices, such as worship at ancient shrines, is a matter of controversyFact|date=February 2008 The National Council for Women (NCW) has suggested amendments to the law to remove some of these flaws. [ [http://ncw.nic.in/page2.htm No. 2: Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987] National Council for Women, Proposed amendments to the 1987 Sati Prevention Act]
Women in Hinduism
* Shastri, Shakuntala Rao. [http://www.hindubooks.org/women_in_the_sacredlaws/ Women in the Sacred Laws] . - The later law books. 1960.
* M.P.V.Kane "History of Dharmashastra", Vol. IV,
Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute. 1953
* L. C. Nand "Women in Delhi Sultanate", Vohra Publishers and Distributors Allahabad 1989
* E. Garzilli, "First Greek and Latin Documents on Sahagamana and Some Connected Problems", part 1, in [http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/indo/1997/00000040/00000003/00072348;jsessionid=og713ih0tc8h.victoria Indo-Iranian Journal, 40/3 August 1997] , part 2 in [http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/indo/1997/00000040/00000004/00077521;jsessionid=og713ih0tc8h.victoria Indo-Iranian Journal, 40/4 October 1997]
#Note|spelling The spelling "suttee" is a phonetic spelling using the 19th century English orthography. However the "sati" transliteration is correct using the more modern
IAST(International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration) which is the academic standard for writing the Sanskrit language with the Latin alphabet system. [http://www.vivaaha.org/sati.htm Not available when footnotes constructed] [ [http://asnic.utexas.edu/asnic/hardgrave/Satiart.rft.html The Representation of Sati: Four Eighteenth Century Etchings by Baltazard Solvyns] by Robert L. Hardgrave, Jr.]
* [http://nrcw.nic.in/shared/sublinkimages/13.htm Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987] . Official text of the Act on
Government of India's National Resource Centre for Women (NCRW) [http://nrcw.nic.in/ Website] .
* Maja Daruwala, [http://www.pucl.org/from-archives/Gender/sati.htm A History of Sati Legislation in India] , People's Union for Civil Liberties Website.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.