- Ada Rehan
Ada Rehan (
April 22, 1859- January 9, 1916) was an American actress. She was born as Ada Crehan in County Limerick, Ireland, and brought to the United States at about the age of six years.
Her acting career began early with some minor parts as a child, then her activities increased in
Philadelphia, Pennsylvaniaat Mrs. Drew's theatre from 1873 to 1875.
Subsequently, she appeared in Baltimore, Albany, and other cities with
John W. Albaugh's company. When Daly opened his theatre in 1879, she joined his company with which she continued until his death. She was widely admired in Europe.
She retired from the stage in 1906 and made
New York Cityher home until her death there in 1916.
* Rosalind in "
As You Like It"
* Katherine in "
The Taming of the Shrew"
* Viola in "Twelfth Night"
* Lady Teazle in "
The School for Scandal"
* Valentine Osprey in "
The Railroad of Love"
* Peggy in "The Country Girl"
* Kate Verity in "
* Nancy Brasher in "
Nancy and Company"
* Maid Marian in
* Roxanne in Daly's presentation of "Cyrano de Bergerac"
* William Winter, "Ada Rehan: A Study" (limited edition, New York, 1891)
* William Winter, "Shadows of the Stage" (New York, 1892)
* L. C. Strang, "Famous Actresses of the Day in America" (Boston, 1899)
Norman Hapgood, "The Stage in America, 1897-1900" (New York, 1901)
* William Winter, "
The Wallet of Time", volume ii (New York, 1913)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.