- Mineral (band)
Mineral Origin Austin
Genres Emo Years active 1994–98 Labels Caulfield
Associated acts The Gloria Record
Pretty the Quick Black Eyes
The Glass Family
Past members Chris Simpson
Mineral was a prominent mid-90s emo band originally from Houston, Texas, but soon relocated to Austin following their formation. All four members of Mineral were signed to Interscope Records on individual contracts. Its former members have since moved on to other musical projects including The Gloria Record, Pop Unknown, and Zookeeper.
Mineral's music is characterized by its iterated soft/loud structure, overlaid with melodic, off-key vocals and ethereal guitar-based instrumental bridges. Many of their songs adhere to the formulas and now ubiquitous stylistic conventions associated with "emo" pioneers Sunny Day Real Estate (SDRE). Despite their similarities to SDRE, Mineral emerged at the same time as that group and added their own less intense, more brooding flavor to the then-emerging "Midwest" sound. Mineral's subtle balance between angst-ridden kinetics and wistful underpinnings, in conjunction with their intelligent lyrics, have heavily influenced many bands of the late 1990s and 2000s.
In 2010, a compilation CD of all the band's songs was released, entitled "The Complete Collection". It was released exclusively in Japan, but a handful of copies have made it to the US and are being sold for around the $60-$100 range.
- Chris Simpson – vocals/guitar
- Scott McCarver – guitar
- Jeremy Gomez – bass
- Gabriel Wiley – drums
- "Gloria/Parking Lot" (The Audio Concept Records, 1994)
- "Gloria/Parking Lot" (Caulfield Records, re-release, 1995)
- "February/M.D." (Caulfield Records, 1996)
- "Crazy (Willie Nelson cover)" (split release with Jimmy Eat World and Sensefield – Crank!, 1997)
- "&Serenading"/"Love My Way" (Psychedelic Furs cover) (Crank!, 1998)
- The Power of Failing – Crank! Records, January 1997
- EndSerenading – Crank! Records, August 1998
Year Album / Source Label Song(s) Other information 1997 (Don't Forget To) Breathe Crank! Records "Rubber Legs" 1998 The First Crush Compilation Thick as Thieves Records "Sadder Star"
- Gold Beach – Jeremy Gomez
- The Glass Family – Jeremy Gomez
- The Gloria Record – Christopher Simpson, Jeremy Gomez
- Imbroco – Gabriel Wiley, Scott David McCarver
- Kissing Chaos – Gabriel Wiley 
- Pop Unknown – Gabriel Wiley
- Pretty the Quick Black Eyes – Scott David McCarver
- Zookeeper – Chris Simpson (& sometimes Jeremy Gomez) 
- Mineral on the Crank! Records website
Mineral MembersChris Simpson · Scott McCarver · Jeremy Gomez · Gabriel Wiley Studio albums Related bandsThe Glass Family · The Gloria Record · Imbroco · Kissing Chaos · Pop Unknown · Pretty the Quick Black Eyes · ZookeeperCategories:
- American emo musical groups
- Musical groups established in 1994
- Musical groups disestablished in 1998
- Musical groups from Austin, Texas
- Musical groups from Houston, Texas
- Caulfield Records artists
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.