- Sharon Cuneta
name = Sharon Cuneta
image_size = 170px
birthname = Sharon Gamboa Cuneta
birthdate = birth date and age|1966|1|6
Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Singer, Actress, Host
yearsactive = 1978-present
website = | http://www.sharoncuneta.com/
Sharon Cuneta-Pangilinan (born Sharon Gamboa Cuneta on
January 6, 1966) is a popular Filipina actress, TVhost, and singer. She is also known as The Mega Star of Philippine Showbiz having been a grandslam awardee, and a box office queen hall of famer and a recipient of several lifetime achievement awards at a relatively young age.
Her mother (Elaine Gamboa-Cuneta) hails from
Santa Ana, Pampangawhile her father (Pablo Cuneta; 1910-2000) was the mayor of Pasay Cityfor decades. She is half-Tagalog in paternal side and fourth-Kapampangan and fourth-Spanish both in maternal side. Elaine Gamboa-Cuneta's sister is Helen Gamboa-Sotto, the wife of Senator Vicente Sotto III. [ [http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20081011-165837/Kiko-denies-talk-of-split-with-Sharon showbizandstyle.inquirer.net, Kiko denies talk of split with Sharon] ]
Rise to Fame
She first appeared on Philippine pop charts in 1978 as a 12 year old, singing the tune "Mr. D.J." The tune became wildly
popularand earned her the title of "D.J.'s Pet" (which was also the name of her first album). [http://pages.prodigy.net/laurenzpaul/] Other hit albums followed, and Cuneta was asked to sing many movie soundtracks of the time - becoming the first "movie soundtrack star" in the country.
She was given films from Viva Films. At age 15, she starred in her first feature film, 1981 "Dear Heart" paired with fellow teeny-bopper
Gabby Concepcion. After "Dear Heart"'s success, she appeared in more than 50 feature films, and earned the title of "Box Office Queen" in the country from 1985 through 1993.
Her early movie roles launched her as a "poor little rich girl". When all else failed, producers decided to make her roles as a "rags to riches" type. Although raised in an influential rich political family, she appealed to the sosyal (socially rich) and masa (mass) crowd of Philippine society, with her intelligence, humor and down-to-earth personality.
Her musical-variety show, "T.S.C.S." "(The Sharon Cuneta Show)" was one of the longest running television shows in Philippine Showbiz from 1986 through 1997.
She started her hosting abilities with other teenage prodigies with shows like "GMA Supershow", later called "Germspesyal", with German Moreno and "C.U.T.E. (Call Us Two For Entertainment)" with her aunt from
Pampanga, former actress Helen Gamboa, via GMA 7.
First Marriage and Annulment
Her love-team pairing in "Dear Heart" with Regal Films heartthrob,
Gabby Concepcionmade the team the most popular love team in Philippine Movies during the 1980s. They later married (at age 19) in a civil ceremony then a Church wedding on September 23, 1984 with former President Ferdinand Marcosas Principal Sponsor (Ninong); however, the marriage did not last. In April 1985, Sharon gave birth to a daughter, Maria Kristina Cassandra Concepcion or KC Concepcion.
Sharon is the first Filipina artist to sell out at the
Los Angeles Shrine Auditoriumfirst in 1988 and her latest June 11th, 2005 concert. Her poster is enshrined in The Shrine's Hall of Fame next to stars Michael Jackson, Barbra Streisand and the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico. She created a trafficjam in the 90's and puzzled the former Mayorof Los Angeles Tom Bradley. After hearing of her success, the mayor attended the concertand awarded Sharon with an Honorary Key to the Cityof Los Angeles.
She also had a duet in the 2001 with famous
Hong Kongstar Andy Lau, with whom she sang "In Your Eyes" composed by Jim Brickman.
In 1996, she hit a "Grand Slam" in Philippine
Moviesfor the movie "Madrasta" where she played the role of a loving stepmother. Sharon became one of the rare actresses along with Nora Aunor and Vilma Santos to be awarded all the accolades given in local Philippine Cinema. Her "grand slam" includes: The Star Awards for Movies, People's Choice Award, The Film Academy of the Philippines, The Gawad Urian given by the Manunuri Ng Pelikulang Pilipino and the FAMAS (Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences).
econd Marriage and continous success
April 28, 1996, Cuneta has been married to SenatorFrancis "Kiko" Pangilinan. Cuneta gave birth to Simone Francesca Emmanuelle (Frankie) in December 2000 and Mariel Daniella Sophia (Miel) in September 2004. Her daughter KC, has been legally adopted by Senator Pangilinan. [ [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2932786/bio imdb.com, Biography for K.C. Concepcion] ]
Her late father, Pablo Cuneta, was mayor of
Pasay Cityfor four decades, he died at the age of 90 on September 2000.
In 2003, Cuneta had also been shuttling between her 2 family homes—one in Wack-Wack in
Mandaluyong City, another in AyalaWestgrove in Laguna. [ [http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20081011-165837/Kiko-denies-talk-of-split-with-Sharon showbizandstyle.inquirer.net, Kiko denies talk of split with Sharon] ]
In 2004, The Brussels International Film Festival named Sharon Cuneta as Best Actress for her movie "Crying Ladies" where she played Stella Mate, an ex-convicted-divorced-single mother hustling her way through Manila streets who accepts a job with two other friends to cry professionally at Chinese
Funeralsin order to provide for her son.
In January, 2005 she returned with a show "Wish Upon A Mega", a 39th Birthday Celebration granting 39 well-wishers their dreams come true.
In January 6th 2006, The Megastar returned with a 40th Birthday celebration on
ABS-CBN's entitled "Ang Pagbabalik Ng Bituin" (roughly translated as "The Return of the Star"). The next montha new gab-fest talk show simply entitled " Sharon" was aired, which she still currently hosting right now.
She is also now taking up a course in Associate in Arts in the University of the Philippines Open University in UP Los Baños, Laguna.
December 6, 2007, Sharon Cuneta-Pangilinan launched her latest album, Isn't It Romantic? Volume 2, under Sony BMG at the Ballroom B of the Crowne Plaza in Ortigas Center. She will celebrate her 30th anniversary as singer on January, 2008: "I've been singing for 30 years na and I've been acting for 27 years. I always peg it at January because it was on January 12 when they called me to go to Vicor [Records] ." She is shooting the Star Cinemamovie London Caregiver. Regarding doing a movie with Gabby Concepcion, she stated: "I have no problem with that. First and foremost, I have to put my family first and think how it will affect them. I know my husband [Sen. Kiko Pangilinan] is such a secure person for marrying me and we've been together for 12 years now." [ [http://www.gmanews.tv/story/71956/Sharon-misses-reel-love-with-Gabby-Concepcion GmaNews.tv, Sharon misses 'reel love' with Gabby Concepcion] ] On January 21, 2008, Sharon admitted that her greatest passion is acting. "I can never be a complete person without acting. 'Pag hindi ako umaarte, parang kulang ang araw ko. (If I am not acting, it seems my day isn’t complete)." She is filming "Caregiver" for Star Cinema(a story "about a Filipina caregiver who is caught between her responsibility to her family back home and the patient she takes care of in a foreign land). [ [http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=106255 Abs-Cbn Interactive, Sharon gives her all in 'Caregiver'] ] The film is Sharon's 30th anniversary offering, celebrates Star Cinema's 15th anniversary and Cuneta's comeback movie after 4 years. [ [http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=116151 Abs-Cbn Interactive, Sharon back in Manila from shooting "Caregiver" in UK] ] The Movie earned approximately 140,000,000 pesos in boxoffice, according to boxofficemojo.com. [ [http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/philippines/?yr=2008&wk=25&p=.htm Philippines Box Office June 18–22, 2008] , " Boxofficemojo.com", June 29th, 2008.]
* 1978 Tawag ng Pag-Ibig
* 1978 Mr. DJ
* 1978 Kahit Maputi Na Ang Buhok Ko
* 1979 Mahal Kita, Mahal Mo Siya, Mahal Niya Ay Iba
* 1979 Hagkan
* 1979 Ewan - (Duet with Louie Ocampo)
* 1979 I-Swing Mo Ako
* 1980 Santo Nino
* 1980 Mahal
* 1982 I Don't Mean A Thing To You Anymore
* 1984 Breathless
* 1984 You're The One
* 1990 Now That You're Gone
* 1990 Parang Baliw
* 1993 One Last Time
* 1994 You're My Everything (duet w/ Billy Preston)
* 1997 So Much In Love (live)
* 1997 All This Time (duet w/ Side A)
* 1999 If You Walked Away - (Duet with David Pomeranz)
* 1999 Both Sides Now
* 1999 Starlight
* 2001 Nothing I Want More
* 2001 It's Only Love
* 2001 Where's The Good In Goodbye?
* 2001 In Your Eyes (duet w/ Andy Lao)
* 2005 Sa Kanya
* 2005 Ikaw Ang Pag-Ibig
* 2005 Nandito Ako (duet w/ Ogie Alcasid)
* 2006 It Takes A Man And A Woman
* 2006 Terminal
* 2007 I Wish That I Was Making Love To You
* 1978 DJ's Pet
* 1979 Sharon
* 1980 Sharon Cuneta
* 1981 High School
* 1981 P.S. I Love You
* 1982 Sharon and Love
* 1982 Sixteen
* 1983 The Very Best of Sharon vol. 1
* 1984 Sshhh
* 1984 Bukas Luluhod ang mga Tala - Soundtrack
* 1985 Bituing Walang Ningning - Soundtrack
* 1986 The Very Best of Sharon vol. 2
* 1986 Sana'y Wala Nang Wakas - Soundtrack
* 1990 For Broken Hearts Only
* 1990 Movie Theme Songs
* 1990 The Sharon Cuneta Christmas Album
* 1991 Maging Sino Ka Man - Soundtrack
* 1991 Sharon Sings Valera
* 1991 Kaputol Ng Isang Awit - Soundtrack
* 1993 Si Sharon at Si Canseco
* 1993 Ikaw at Ako
* 1994 Kapantay Ay Langit - Soundtrack
* 1994 Megamol - Soundtrack
* 1994 Sana'y Wala Nang Wakas - Special Collector's Edition
* 1994 Sinasamba Kita - Special Collector's Edition
* 1994 The Best of Sharon Cuneta
* 1994 Sharon Sings Duets
* 1995 Songs from Minsan Pa (Kahit Konting Pagtingin 2) and other movie themes
* 1996 The Other Side of Me
* 1997 Mega Up-Close: The Live Album
* 1999 Sharon at 20
* 1999 When I Love
* 2000 Minsan, Minahal Kita - Soundtrack
* 2001 Nothing I Want More
* 2001 All I Ever Want
* 2002 25 Years, 25 Hits
* 2002 Sharon Cuneta: Audio Visual Anthology
* 2002 The Mega Collection Double CD
* 2003 Walang Kapalit and Other Songs by Rey Valera
* 2003 Kung Ako Na Lang Sana -Soundtrack
* 2003 Paskong Nagdaan
* 2005 Now That You're Gone
* 2005 Sharon Sings Alcasid
* 2006 Sharon Cuneta: Vicor 40th Anniversary
* 2006 Isn't It Romantic?
* 2006 Sharon Cuneta Viva Silver Series cd and Movie Theme Songs cd
* 2007 Isn't It Romantic Volume 2
Awards & Special Citations
;Best Actress Awards
* 1984. Sa Hirap at Ginhawa. Film Academy of the Philippines.
* 1984. Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin. FAMAS.
* 1984. Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin. KOMOPB
* 1992. Tayong Dalawa. Movie Magazine’s Film Review Awards. (Mario Hernando as Chairman)
* 1997. Madrasta. PMPC Star Awards for Movies.
* 1997. Madrasta. FAP.
* 1997. Madrasta. People’s Choice Awards
* 1997. Madrasta. FAMAS.
* 1997. Madrasta. Gawad Urian.
* 2002. Magkapatid. Manila Film Festival.
* 2003. Crying Ladies. People’s Choice Awards. Metro Manila Film Festival.
* 2004. Crying Ladies. Pasado Awards. (given by teachers)
* 2004. Crying Ladies. Brussels International Independent Film Festival.
* 2004 . DEKADA Best Actress Honoree . PMPC Star Awards for Movies
* 2005. Pinakapasadong Artista/Natatanging Artista ng Taon (for Crying Ladies). PASADO Awards.
* 1981-1982. Popular Teenage Queen of RP Movies. Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation, Inc. (GMMSF)
* 1982-1983. Miss RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1983-1984. Miss RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1984. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1985. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1986. Top Female Box Office Star of 1985. "Bida sa Takilya" given during the FAMAS Awards
* 1986. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1987. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1989. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1990. Elevated to the Box Office Hall of Fame. GMMSF.
* 1991. Kahit Konting Pagtingin. Box Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1992. Maging Sino Ka Man. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1992 Box Office Record Award for "Maging Sino Ka Man" (with Robin Padilla as co-awardee) given by the Greater Metro Manila Theater Association.
* 1993. Pangako Sa ‘Yo. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1996. Madrasta. Box. Office Queen of RP Movies. GMMSF.
* 1981. Jukebox Princess. BAMCI Promotions Awards, 1980.
* 1985. Most Outstanding Female Concert Hall Act for “Sharon Solo With The Boys 1984 Concert. Aliw Awards
* 1998. Plaque of Welcome and Appreciation (adopted daughter of L.A.) given by Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley during "The Sharon Cuneta US Concert Tour '88" at the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium
* 1990 . The first and only Asian to be included in the HALL OF FAME of the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium given during “The Sharon Cuneta Concert Tour” in 1990. (Other Hall of Famers include Sheena Easton and Michael Jackson.)
* 1991. One of 10 Most Outstanding Recording Artists. 7th Annual Tining Awards. (NPCP)
* 1991. Double Platinum Award. For Broken Hearts Only
* 1991. One of 10 Most Outstanding Recording Artists. 7th Annual Tining Awards. (NPCP)
* 1992. Best Performance by a Female Recording Artist (Ngayon at Kailanman)
* 1992. Double Platinum Award. Sharon Movie Theme Songs
* 1992. Triple Platinum Award. Sharon Sings Valera.
* 1994. Platinum Award. Si Sharon at Si Canseco
* 1997. The first and only Asian artist to be included in the HALL OF FAME of the MGM Grand Garden given after the "Mega Concert Tour 1997"
* 1997. Gold Record Award. The Other Side of Me
* 1998. Gintong Tining Awardee. Metro Star Search.
* 1999 . Gold Record Award (after a week) / Double Platinum Award. When I Love
* 2001 . Certificate for breaking the house record (12,000 seating capacity) in the Hongkong Coliseum. HK Coliseum Concert. May 2001.
* 2001. Gold Record Award. Nothing I Want More
* 2002. Dangal ng Musikang Pilipino Award (Lifetime Achievement Award). Board of Directors of the Phil. Association of Recording Industry. November 2002.
* 2006 . Lifetime Achievement Awardee . MYX
* 2006 . Elite Platinum Circle Awardee . ASAP 06
* 2006 . Double Platinum Award . Isn’t It Romantic
* 2007 . Triple Platinum Award . Isn’t It Romantic
* 2007 . Quadruple Platinum Award . Isn't It Romantic
* 2007 . Sextuple Platinum Award . Isn't It Romantic
* 2007 . Double Platinum Award . Isn't It Romantic Volume 2
* 1990 . Best Female TV Host. The Sharon Cuneta Show, PMPC Star Awards for Television
* 1993 . Best Female TV Host. The Sharon Cuneta Show, PMPC Star Awards for Television
* 1994 . Best Female TV Host. The Sharon Cuneta Show, PMPC Star Awards for Television
* 1995 . Best Female TV Host. The Sharon Cuneta Show, PMPC Star Awards for Television
* 1996 . Best Female TV Host. The Sharon Cuneta Show, PMPC Star Awards for Television
* 2000 . Best Talk Show Host. Sharon, KBP Golden Dove Awards
* 2006 . Sharon, Highly Commended Best Entertainment Presenter, 2006 Asian Television Awards.
* 2001 . Hallmark Women Achiever Awardee. Honoree in Entertainment (along with Laurice Guillen) Hallmark Channel. Given during their Women's Week Film Festival Celebration. May 2001.
* 2001 . Ulirang Ina Awardee.
* 2002 . Patnubay ng Sining at Kalinangan Medal (for Cinema). City of Manila Awardee. (One of 12 Outstanding Artists) June 2002.
* 2002 . 1st Celebrity Millionaire. Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
* 2002 . 1st Celebrity Millionaire. Game Ka Na Ba?
* 2003 . Celebrity Millionaire. Game Ka Na Ba?
* 2004 . The Most Effective Product Endorser, survey conducted by AC Nielsen. February.
* 2000 . No.5 in the list of the 50 Most Powerful People in Philippine entertainment. aired on channel 9)
* TSCS . 40%+ viewership rate on its first telecast.2nd only after d Mike Tyson fight telecast
* 1999 . One of the MOST ADMIRED FILIPINOS (#4, Women Category) Pulse Asia, Inc. Ulat ng Bayan Survey. September 2 - 16, 1999
* 2004 . DEKADA Best Actress. PMPC Star Awards March 2004
* 1993 . KAPP Chairman. 1993. (Kapisanan ng Artista ng Pelikulang Pilipino)
* 2004 . One of the Philippines' 15 Best Actresses of All Time [According to the Director's Guild of the Philippine ( DGPI)]
* 2004 . Ten Most Outstanding Men of the Philippinesne '(TOYM) Awardee
* 1999. People’s Choice Awardee for Best Celebrity Website. Philippine Web Awards.
* 2001. People’s Choice Awardee for Best Celebrity Website. Philippine Web Awards.
* 2002. People’s Choice Awardee for Best Celebrity Website. Philippine Web Awards.
* 1999-2002. Finalist in the Best Celebrity Website. Philippine Web Awards.
* 1998 . YEHEY.COM'S TOP 20 SITES. November 1998
* 2001 . One of the 10 Most Beautiful Women of Mega Magazine. 2001
* 2004 . No.20 in BizNewsAsia’s list of Top 100 Most Powerful Filipinos for 2003.
* 2003 . No.31 in BizNewsAsia's list of Top 100 Most Powerful Filipinos for 2002.
* 2004 . One of Asia’s (Under-50) Movers and Shakers. (One of four Filipinos listed) Asia Inc. Magazine. February 2004.
* 1998 . One of Istudyante’s (the first national newspaper for students) “ Idols of our Time”. With Robert Jaworski & Lean Alejandro. 1988.
* 2001 . Reader’s Choice Awards- Female Star Quality. YES! Magazine
* 2002 . Reader’s Choice Awards- Female Star Quality. YES! Magazine
* 1999 . No.1 in the list of THE 15 BRIGHTEST STARS IN PHILIPPINE SHOWBIZ. Alan Diones. Moviestar Magazine. October ’99.
* 1999 . One of the TOP 10 ACTRESSES OF THE DECADE. Noel Ferrer. The Manila Standard. November 1999.
* 1999 . No.6 in the list of Local Showbiz’s Ten Most Intriguing Stars. Calvin Murphy P. Neria. May 1999
References and external links
* [http://www.sharoncuneta.com/ Sharon Cuneta's Official Website]
* [http://www.celebritiesph.com/celebrities/actresses/filipino-actresses/sharon-cuneta.html Sharon Cuneta Pictures, Bio, and More at Celebritiesph.com]
* [http://www.filmbug.com/db/2937/ Sharon Cuneta @ Filmbug]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.