- Lotus position
The lotus position (
Devanāgarī: पद्मासन; IAST: "padmāsana"; Japanese: Nihongo|"kekka fuza"|結跏趺坐) is a cross- legged sitting posturewhich originated in representations and meditative practices of ancient India. It is an established part of the Hindu Yogatradition. The position is said to resemble a lotus, encourage proper breathing and foster physical stability.
Famous depictions of the lotus-posture include
Shiva, the meditating ascetic god of Hinduism, and the Buddha, the founder of Buddhism. Padmasana may be depicted on an ancient seal found in Harappa.cite book | title=An Introduction to Hinduism | url=http://books.google.co.in/books?id=KpIWhKnYmF0C&pg=PA29&sig=iRXUzchB0HnFuDZbytzpbpoB_yY| last=D. Flood| first=Gavin| date=1996| pages=29| publisher=Cambridge University Press| id=ISBN 0521438780] cite book | title=The Sādhus of India: A Study of Hindu Asceticism | last=Lewis Gross| first=Robert| date=2007| pages=10| publisher=Rawat Publications]
Benefits of lotus positon
According to the traditional texts Padmasana destroys all disease and awakens kundalini energy (one’s dormant spiritual energy). It calms the mind. It stimulates the pelvis, spine, abdomen, and bladder and stretches the ankles and knees. In women it alleviates menstrual discomfort and sciatica and helps ease childbirth.
List of Hatha yoga postures
*"Becoming the Lotus: How to Achieve the Full Lotus Posture" by Anton Temple (Author), Franca Gallo (Editor), Pip Faulks (Illustrator) Paperback: 64 pages, Publisher: Merkur Publishing, Inc (1 Dec 2006) Language: English, ISBN-10: 1885928181, Dimensions: 5.8 x 8.3 inches
*"Yoga, Tantra and Meditation in Daily Life" by Swami Janakananda Saraswati (Author), Paperback: 128 pages, Publisher: Red Wheel/Weiser (Sep 1992), Language: English, ISBN-10: 0877287686 ISBN-13: 978-0877287681, Dimensions: 8.3 x 9.8 x 0.3 inches
* [http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/fun/yoga/lotus_padmasana.html Stepwise Technique & Potential Benefits of the Lotus Posture (Padmasana or Kamalasana)]
* [http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/fun/yoga/half_lotus_ardha_padmasana.html Stepwise Technique & Potential Benefits of the Half Lotus Posture (Ardha Padmasana or Ardha Kamalasana)]
* [http://zenmontpellier.site.voila.fr/eng/lotus/lotuseng.html Growing up a Lotus]
* [http://www.flashmavi.com/yoga_padmasana_learn_the_lotus_pose.shtml Animation - How to go into a Lotus Pose]
* [http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/488_1.cfm Padmasana (Lotus Pose)]
* [http://antaiji.dogen-zen.de/eng/adult35.shtml Crossing the legs]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.