- Traian Lalescu
name = Traian Lalescu
birth_date = birth date|1882|7|12|mf=y
death_date = death date and age|1929|6|15|1882|7|12|mf=y
Polytechnic University of Timişoara University of Bucharest
University of Bucharest University of Paris
doctoral_advisor = Émile Picard
Traian Lalescu (
July 12, 1882, Bucharest– June 15, 1929, Bucharest) was a Romanian mathematician. His main focus was on integral equationsand he contributed to work in the areas of functional equations, trigonometric series, mathematical physics, geometry, mechanics, algebra, and the history of mathematics.
He went to the
Carol I High Schoolin Craiova, continuing high school in Roman and Iaşi. After entering the University of Iaşi, he completed his undergraduate studies in 1903 at the University of Bucharest.
He earned his
Ph.D.in Mathematics from the University of Parisin 1908. His dissertation, "Sur les équations de Volterra", was written under the direction of Émile Picard. In 1911, he published "Introduction to the Theory of Integral Equations", the first book ever on the subject of integral equations.
He was a professor at the
University of Bucharest, the Polytechnic University of Timişoara(where he was the first rector, in 1920), and the Polytechnic University of Bucharest.
The Lalescu sequence
There are several institutions bearing his name, including Colegiul Naţional de Informatică "Traian Lalescu" in
Hunedoaraand Liceul Teoretic "Traian Lalescu" in Reşiţa. There is also a Traian Lalescu Street in Timişoara. The National Mathematics Contest "Traian Lalescu" for undergraduate students is also named after him.
A statue of Lalescu, executed in 1930 by
Cornel Medrea, is situated in front of the Faculty of Mechanics, in Timişoara.
* T. Lalesco, "Introduction à la théorie des équations intégrales. Avec une préface de É. Picard", Paris: A. Hermann et Fils, 1912. VII + 152 pp. [http://www.zentralblatt-math.org/zmath/en/advanced/?q=an:43.0438.05 JFM entry]
* Traian Lalescu, "Introducere la teoria ecuaţiilor integrale", Editura Academiei Republicii Populare Romîne, 1956. 134 pp. (A reprint of the first edition [Bucharest, 1911] , with a bibliography taken from the French translation [Paris, 1912] ). MathSciNet|id=0085450
* [http://www.ici.ro/romania/en/stiinta/lalescu.html "Representative Figures of the Romanian Science and Technology"]
* [http://cnihd.licee.edu.ro/vezi.php?id=8&ce=stire "Traian Lalescu"] , from Colegiul Naţional de Informatică "Traian Lalescu", Hunedoara
* [http://liceultraianlalescu.uv.ro/ "Cine a fost Traian Lalescu?"] , from Liceul Teoretic "Traian Lalescu", Reşiţa
* ro icon [http://www.infotim.ro/dccpcnjt/monumenteTM/iii/TM_III_m_B_06310.htm "Monumentul lui Traian Lalescu (1930)"] , at infotim.ro
NAME= Lalescu, Traian
DATE OF BIRTH=
July 12, 1882
PLACE OF BIRTH=
DATE OF DEATH=
June 15, 1929
PLACE OF DEATH=
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.