- Highland cattle
Highland cattle (also known as "Hairy Coo" or "Heilan Coo") are an ancient Scottish breed of
beef cattlewith long outward spreading horns and long wavy pelts coloured black, brindled, red, yellow, or dun. [ [http://www.highlandcattlesociety.com/breed_standard.php Highland Cattle Society breed standard] ]
The breed was developed in the
Scottish Highlandsand western coastal regions of Scotland, and breeding stock has been exported to the rest of the world, especially Australiaand North America, since the 1900s and is used as grazer in nature reserves in the Netherlands. The breed was developed from two sets of stock, one originally black, and the other reddish.Fact|date=September 2008 Today, Highland cattle come in a wide variety of colours.
Highlands are known as a hardy breed due to the rugged nature of their native Scottish Highlands, with high rainfall and strong winds. They both graze and browse and eat plants other cattle avoid. The meat tends to be leaner than most beef, as highlands get most of their insulation from their thick shaggy hair rather than subcutaneous fat. The coat also makes them a good breed for cold Northern climates.
The Highland cattle registry ("herd book") was established in 1885. [ [http://www.highlandcattlesociety.com/highland_breed.php Highland Cattle Society; the breed] ] Although groups of cattle are generally called
herds, a group of highlands is known as a 'fold'. The breed is affectionately known as "shaggy coos" or "hairy coos" in parts of Scotland. They were also known as 'kyloes' in Scots.
Highland cattle have been successfully established in many European countries. Their hair provides protection during the cold winters, and their skill in browsing for food is also important in order to survive in such a steep mountain area.
* Australia: [http://www.highlandcattle.org.au/ Australian Highland Cattle Society]
* Austria: [http://www.highlandbeef.at/ Austrian Highlandcattle Society]
* Canada: [http://www.chcs.ca Canadian Highland Cattle Society]
* New Zealand: [http://www.highlandcattle.org.nz/ New Zealand Highland Cattle Society] and [http://www.highland-cattle.co.nz/ Independent Highland Cattle Breeders Academy]
* Norway: [http://highlandcattle.no/ Norwegian Highland Cattle Association]
* United Kingdom: [http://www.highlandcattlesociety.com/ The Highland Cattle Society]
* United States: [http://highlandcattleusa.org American Highland Cattle Association]
* Worldwide Directory: [http://www.highlandcattleworld.com/ Highland Cattle World! Profiles over 40 Folds in 15 Countries around the World ]
* [http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/108989 Image] of Highland cattle, from geograph.org.uk
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.