Aladdin4D is a
software programfor modeling and rendering three-dimensional graphics and animations, for the Amigaplatform. Aladdin 4D was originally created by Greg Gorby at Adspec, Inc in Ohio. The 3D program was then acquired and updated by Nova Design, Inc. Nova Design added many modern features and made it easier to use. On December 17th, 2007 Nova Design sold all inventory, source code and intellectual property rights to DiscreetFX LLC. DiscreetFX is updating and releasing a new version for Mac OS X, Amiga OS 4.0, MorphOS 2.0, AROS, Linux & Windows. All versions of Aladdin 4D will also include an A4D scene renderer for the Apple iPhone.Fact|date=January 2008
Aladdin 4D is one of the few modern 3D applications for the Amiga platformFact|date=January 2008, in the sense that it uses an OS-compliant GUI, it supports RTG displays, it utilizes the AmigaGuide Help system and features an Arexx port for scripting. Concerning the 3D features of the application:
- Infinite layering of surfaces: A surface of an object may have a virtually infinite amount of textures, shaders etc layered on it.
- Spline modelling tool.
- Importing of most postscript files, making the creation of logos easier.
- Unlimited number of working layers: multiple working areas containing only a portion of the scene, easing out the management and pace of objects during the creation of animation.
- Gaseous volumetrics with adjustable mass.
- Built-in particle system to simulate various effects like fireworks.
- Morphing capabilities in the animation system.
- Spline animation controls.
Also, Aladdin 4D has advanced rendering features like motion blur, multiple pass supersampling, lens flares, 32-bit color support and a highly optimized 68k rendering engine.
Aladdin 4D supports the following 3D formats: Aladdin 4D, Lightwave3D, GEO, EPS, DEM, Draw4D-Pro and Draw4D, 3D Studio for either loading or loading and saving. Image Formats supported for loading and saving: IFF/ILBM (palette mapped and 24-bit formats), JPEG and Video Toaster Framestores.
Aladdin 4D supports exchange of data with ImageFX, Lightwave/Video Toaster, World Construction Set and all programs that support Nova Design's "Magic" protocol for buffer sharing.
Aladdin 4D latest version runs on any Amiga platform or an emulated one, like UAE, and also on the Draco and Pegasos systems.
DiscreetFX, the new owner of Aladdin 4D, has already announced the platforms the new version will support and their intention to market it as a low cost application which may not have all the modern features similar programs do , but enough to get someone introduced to the 3D graphics world and create a portfolioFact|date=January 2008. The submission of new ideas and features for the next version has already begun in the Aladdin 4D forumsFact|date=January 2008.
* [http://www.discreetfx.com DiscreetFX] - Official new owner of Aladdin 4D.
* [http://www.aladdin4d.blogspot.com Blog] - Aladdin 4D Blog.
* [http://www.aladdin4d.com Forums] - Aladdin 4D Forums.
* [http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4135] - Press Release Announcing Blog & Forum launch.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.