- USS Essex
Five ships of the
United States Navyhave been named USS "Essex", after Essex County, Massachusetts.
* The first USS|Essex|1799|2 was a 32-gun sailing
frigatelaunched in 1799, one of the heroes of the War of 1812.
* The second USS|Essex|1856|2 was an
ironcladsteamer in the American Civil War.
* The third USS|Essex|1876|2 was a wooden screw steamer launched in
1876, one of the last ships of the "Old Navy".
* The fourth USS|Essex|CV-9 was an
aircraft carriercommissioned in 1942(as the first of the Essex class) and active in World War II, the Korean War, and Project Apollo, finally decommissioning in 1969.
* The fifth USS|Essex|LHD-2 is an
amphibious assault shipcommissioned 1992and on active service as of |2008|lc=on.
:* For the "civilian" whaling ship destroyed by a
Sperm Whale, see Whaleship Essex.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.