- Ron Allen (playwright)
Ron Allen (b.
September 13, 1947) is an American poetand playwrightwho describes his work as a "concert of language." The Detroitnative employs intuitive configurations of language, ie., image, trope, metaphor that invent new meaning and new structures for the exploration of theatre. His Thick Knot Rhythm Ensemble is a vehicle for production of his stage works. Since 1997 Allen has written and produced 13 plays including "Last Church of the Twentieth Century," "Aborigional Treatment Center," "Twenty Plays in Twenty Minutes," "Dreaming the Reality Room Yellow," "WHAM!" "The Tibetan Book of the Dead," "Relative Energy Sack Theory Museum," and his most recent work "The Heidelberg Project: Squatting in the Circle of the Elder Mind." Like fellow Detroit playwright Ron Milner, Allen's ear for the use of language by African people in the U.S. and Detroit in particular is exceptionally keen. Ron Allen has published three books of critically acclaimed poetry and is founder and director of Weightless Language Press. Known for his experiments with poetic verse, character, theme and structure, Allen creates centers of language experiences and rhythm through his writing.
* [http://www.marygrove.edu/ids/Detroit_Waste_Incinerator.asp Incinerator]
* [http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/nov/11-07-97/arts/arts4.html Michigan Daily article]
* [http://www.wdetfm.org/events/?view=showEvent&eventID=2078 The Aboriginal Treatment Center]
* [http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=9340 The Aboriginal Treatment Center]
* [http://lapovertydept.org/Performances/Fried_Poetry/FRIED_POERTY_DIRECTED_BY_RON_ALLEN/ Fried Poetry]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.