- Insurrectionary anarchism
Insurrectionary anarchism is a revolutionary theory, practice and tendency within the
anarchistmovement which opposes formal anarchist organizations such as labor unions and federations that are based on a political programme and periodic congresses. Instead, insurrectionary anarchists advocate direct action (violent or otherwise), informal organization, including small affinity groups and mass organizations which include non-anarchist individuals of the exploited or excluded class.
Origins and spread
Many anarchist communists, in the United States and foreign immigrants to the US such as
Luigi Galleaniand Johann Mosthave been insurrectionary anarchists. [ [http://www.cat.org.au/a4a/galleani.html] Dead link|date=March 2008]
Here, a text from the magazine "Killing King Abacus" outlines some of the basis points of insurrectionary anarchist praxis.
Insurrectionary anarchism is not an ideological solution to all social problems, a commodity on the capitalist market of ideologies and opinions, but an on-going praxis aimed at putting an end to the domination of the state and the continuance of capitalism, which requires analysis and discussion to advance. We don't look to some ideal society or offer an image of utopia for public consumption. Throughout history, most anarchists, except those who believed that society would evolve to the point that it would leave the state behind, have been insurrectionary anarchists. Most simply, this means that the state will not merely wither away, "thus anarchists must attack, for waiting is defeat; what is needed is open mutiny and the spreading of subversion among the exploited and excluded". Here we spell out some implications that we and some other insurrectionary anarchists draw from this general problem: if the state will not disappear on its own, how then do we end its existence? It is, therefore, primarily a practice, and focuses on the organization of attack...The State of capital will not "wither away"...attack is the refusal of mediation, pacification, sacrifice, accommodation, and compromise.
Alfredo M. Bonanno, an Italian insurrectionary anarchist has also had an impact on this specific tendency, writing such works as "Armed Joy", "The Anarchist Tension", and others. Another Italian insurrectionary with great impact on anarchists was Luigi Galleani.
Insurrectionary anarchists are generally interested in class struggle. Many also identify with related theoretical positions such as
anarchist communism, Situationist theory, autonomism, anarcho-primitivism, and green anarchism.
Errico Malatesta's speech during the International Anarchist Congress of Amsterdam(1907)
* [http://www.infoshop.org/library/insurrection-vs-organization.html Insurrection v.s. Organization: Reflections from Greece on a Pointless Schism] , essay from Peter Gelderloos, author of [http://akpress.org/2005/items/hownonviolenceprotectsthestate "How Non-violence Protects the State"]
* [http://www.anarkismo.net/newswire.php?story_id=3430 Anarchism, insurrections and insurrectionalism] , article from
Anarkismo.netcritical of insurrectionary anarchism
* [http://www.gnn.tv/blogs/9094/Some_Notes_on_Insurrectionary_Anarchism Crimethought: Some Notes on Insurrectionary Anarchism] , article from
Guerrilla News Network
* [http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program-info&program_id=15550&nav=&session=anonymous Talk and Tactics and Bloody Revolution: Insurrectionary Anarchism in Seattle] , audio stream interview from [http://www.a-infos.ca/ A-Infos Radio Project]
Insurrectionary groups and publications
* [http://www.geocities.com/kk_abacus Killing King Abacus] An insurrectionary anarchist publication from the USA
* [http://geocities.com/seainsur/ Insurrectionary Anarchists of Seattle]
* [http://www.geocities.com/insurrectionary_anarchists/ Insurrectionary Anarchists of the Coast Salish Territories] , Canadian insurrectionary anarchists
* [http://www.geocities.com/edic_insumisos/ La Anarquia] , Argentine insurrectionary publication ("in Spanish")
* [http://www.guerrasociale.org/ Social War] , Italian insurrectionists ("in Italian, English, French and Spanish")
* [http://www.geocities.com/kk_abacus/ioaa/dagger.html At Daggers Drawn] Insurrectionary anarchist publication translated from Italian by Jean Weir. A poetic overview of the insurrectionary perspective.
* [http://www.geocities.com/amurderofcrows1/ A Murder of Crows] an insurrectionary anarchist magazine out of Seattle.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.