- Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary
:"For other uses of "CMRA," please see
CMRA (disambiguation)."The Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary or CCGA is a Canada-wide volunteer marine association dedicated to marine search and rescue(SAR) and the promotion of boating safety, through association with the Canadian Coast Guardunder the auspices of Canada's National Search and Rescue Programand Transport Canada's office of boating safety.
The participation of
volunteers in marine rescue pre-dates Confederation when a loose network of unpaid rescue agents was responsible for reporting marine incidents and organizing searches for overdue vessels.
By the 1970s, it became clear that a formal volunteer network was needed to provide a more effective response to marine incidents as mandated under the
National Search and Rescue Program.
The Canadian Marine Rescue Auxiliary or CMRA was formed in 1978 as a
non-profit organizationin an effort to enhance search and rescue coverage and capability, and to better coordinate volunteer efforts. CMRA was renamed to the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary or CCGA in the mid-1990s. While CCGA operates as an independent organization, CCG personnel in each region of Canada act in a liaison role for coordinating support and operations.
CCGA members are recreational boaters and commercial fishermen who assist the Canadian Coast Guard with
search and rescue(SAR) as well as boating safety education. CCGA members who assist in SAR operations have their vessel insurance covered by CCG, as well as any fuel and operating costs associated with a particular tasking.
The CCGA permits CCG to provide marine SAR coverage in many isolated areas of Canada's coastlines without having to maintain an active base and/or vessels in those areas. The auxiliary is dedicated to providing a permanent day and night search and rescue service to cover marine requirements in
Canadaand prevent the loss of life and injury.
* Save lives at risk
* Reduce the number and severity of SAR incidents
* Promote marine safety
* Support the Canadian Coast Guard
* Provide a humanitarian service
* Maintain the highest professional standards
* Promote dedication and pride of membership
Civil Air Search and Rescue Association(CASARA)
* [http://www.ccga-gcac.com/home/home_e.asp Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary]
* [http://www.ccga-pacific.org Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary - Pacific]
* [http://www.international-maritime-rescue.org/ International Maritime Rescue Federation]
* [http://www.ccga-ca.com Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary - Central and Arctic]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.