A stovepipe can refer to:
chimneyof a coal- or wood-burning stove.
* A tall top hat with a consistent width.
firearmmalfunction in shootingin which the empty cartridge case jams vertically in the ejection port of the gun instead of being thrown clear, a condition usually caused by not holding the firearm correctly, or "limp-wristing".
* Rigid funding allocation to agencies or purposes, frequently referring to hoarding funding for one organization or division over another.
stovepipe system, the informal name given to a category of criticisms applied to assemblages of technology, sometimes also referred to as "stovepiping".
* In intelligence parlance,
stovepipingis the inappropriate transmission of raw information to high-level intelligence consumers that could lead to misguided policies, as opposed to the process called vetting or the systematic procedure of sifting, disambiguating, analyzing and producing intelligence products suitable for policy consideration. Vetting is also referred to as analytic tradecraft.
* Adam R. "Stovepipe" Johnson, an
American Civil Warcolonel who led a daring raid on Indiana in which a town surrendered after being threatened with a mock cannon Johnson had fashioned using two pieces of exhaust stovepipe.
* It is also a term occasionally used by storm chasers to describe the shape of a
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.