- Barra de Navidad, Jalisco
name = Barra de Navidad
imagesize = 250px
image_caption = Barra de Navidad beach from Jetty
dot_x = |dot_y =
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_type1 = Mexican state
latd= 19.203|latm= |lats= |latNS=
longd= -104.683|longm= |longs= |longEW=
area_code = 315
footnotes = Barra de Navidad is a small town located on the western coast-line of the Mexican state of
The town of Barra de Navidad (Christmas Sandbar) with a population of 7000+ is a small farming and fishing community located on the east end of the Bahía de Navidad, 60 km north of
Manzanillo. In recent years, the Jalisco state government has promoted Barra as a tourist attraction of the Costalegre. The beachfront fronting the sandbar arks toward San Patricio, Jalisco4.5 kilometers to the west.
The history of "modern" Barra de Navidad dates back to the mid-1500s when the Spanish used it for ship building, repairs and a jumping off point to the
Philippines. A monument has been erected as a memory to these journeys at the end of the jetty.
The large lagoon behind Barra de Navidad is criss-crossed by small fishing boats gathering scallops and transporting visitors and locals from Barra to Isla Navidad and the Grand Bay Hotel, recently voted the Number One hotel/resort in Mexico by the Travel Channel. These boats (panga taxies) also carry passengers to and from the small Colima community of Colimilla where restaurants line the shore.
* [http://www.barradenavidad.com/ Barra de Navidad (official site)]
* [http://www.manzanilloblog.com/ Travel and tourism resource for Manzanillo, Barra, and surrounding areas]
* [http://www.costalegre.ca/Barra_de_Navidad.htm Barra de Navidad]
* [http://www.tomzap.com/barra.html Barra de Navidad]
* [http://www.costalegre.ca/Barra_Photo_Gallery.htm Barra de Navidad - photo gallery]
* [http://bahiadenavidad.blogspot.com/ Barra de Navidad on the Costalegre]
* [http://www.mapmyglobe.com/Barra_de_Navidad Interactive visit of Barra on MapMyGlobe]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.