- The Jefferson Dancers
The Jefferson Dancers is the performing leg of the magnet arts dance program at Jefferson High School in
Portland, Oregon, United States. The company was founded by Mary Vinton Folbergin the early 1980s. Folberg served as artistic director of the dance company from its founding until the mid-1990s. Over the years, the company has worked with dance legends such as Brenda Bufalino, Donald McKayle, and Royston Maldoom.
The company performs annually in Portland venues, such as the
Keller Auditorium, Portland Center for the Performing Arts, and the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. The company also performs annually at the Hult Center in Eugene, Oregon. Past international tours have included performances in London, Paris, Aix-en Provance and Canada, and in 1991 the company performed in Moscowand Leningrad — a tour financed entirely by revenue generated from past performances.
In 1993, Mary Vinton Folberg went on sabbatical, during which Julane Stites served as artistic director of the company. That year, the company was the subject of the 30-minute PBS program titled "A Musical Encounter: The Dance Program" [http://shopgpn.com/stores/1/The_Dance_Program-DVD_P6991.cfm] , which was nationally syndicated on PBS stations.
In 1995, Mary Vinton Folberg left the dance department of Jefferson High School to found the
The Northwest Academy, an alternative arts high school in Portland. "Jefferson Dancers" alumni Steve Gonzales has served as artistic director since that time. Under his leadership, the company has performed at the Kennedy Center and with the [http://www.whitebird.org/ White Bird] dance project.
The company for 2007-2008 consists of: Members: Melissa Araujo, Matthew Bade, Maryam Baghdadi, Molly Blodgett, Nate Boddy, Elizabeth Bressler, Kevin Clark, Katie Cowdery, Peyton Eaves, Quincy Hickson, Chelsea Holland, Taryn Jansen, Emma Meskill, Michael Munday, Cameron Packham, Jon Sadony, Lila Simmons, Julia Stafford, Megan Thompson, Austin Tyson, and Bethany Withycombe.Apprentices: Maranda Brown, Hope Hickson, Victoria Holt, Brittnie Marcell, Aubrey Packham, and Jenna Rolle
The Northwest Academy
Willamette Ballet Academy
Oregon Ballet Theater
* [http://www.jeffdancers.pps.k12.or.us/.docs/pg/10442 The Jefferson Dancers official site]
* [http://www.pps.k12.or.us/depts/arts/dance/press.php Jefferson Dancers Voted Best Local Dance Company (2003)]
* [http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=3438 Not Your Average High-School Dance]
* [http://www.pps.k12.or.us/depts/arts/dance/ Jefferson High School Performing & Visual Arts Magnet]
* [http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/artist_detail.cfm?artist_id=JEFFDANCES Kennedy Center Article about The Jefferson Dancers]
* [http://www.portlandtribune.com/archold.cgi?id=15368 "Portland Tribune" article about The Jefferson Dancers]
* [http://www.wweek.com/html/perfb050300.html Budget to Bust a Move]
* [http://www.tdn.com/articles/2004/02/02/this_day/news01.txt Student Reviews of The Jefferson Dancers performance]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.