- Southern Studios
Southern Studios is a recording studio in the
Wood Greenarea of London. It was founded in 1974 by John Loder, and came to be the recording studio of choice for Crassand their record label Crass Records. Southern Studios Ltd.continues to grow its label and provide label management and distribution services throughout Europe.
In the 1980's, Southern Studios Ltd. (SSL) evolved into its own record label and distribution company, trading under the name of
Southern Records.With the growth of business, the need to expand into other areas of the music business became apparent, thus Southern Record Distributors Ltd. (SRD) (now independently-owned) took over UK distribution, while SSL continued to serve the needs of Europe, as well as signing and supporting artists on the Southern Records label. During the massive growth of the independent music industry in the mid-90's, Loder decided to establish Southern Records Inc. (SRI) in Chicago, which has added many artists to the Southern label's roster and operates a distribution business for independent-minded labels in the US and elsewhere. Steve Albini, a long-time friend and associate of John Loder, has described the set up at Southern Studios as being completely analog. Although not entirely analog, the vintage Raindirk Series III 24-channel desk does indeed dominate the studio control room. The studio today is owned by Southern Records Ltd. (SRL) and continues to operate under the guidance of sound engineer Harvey Birrell.
The following is an incomplete list of bands who have recorded at Southern Studios in the
The Jesus and Mary Chain
My Life With The Thrill Thrill Kult
Mark Stewart & The Maffia
African Head Charge
All About Eve
Shit & Shine
*Babes In Toyland
*The Alternative (April 1984).
List of record labels
* [http://www.punkvinyl.com/2005/08/17/rip-john-loder/ R.I.P. John Loder] "The Punk Vault" Accessed
August 19 2005
* [http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/35065/John_Loder_Founder_of_Southern_Records_Dead_at_5#35065 Pitchfork: Daily Music News] "John Loder, Founder of Southern Records, Dead at 59" Accessed
February 16 2007
* [http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=102&page=2 Musicangle.com interview with Steve Albini by Michael Fremer] "The "Dean" of Alternative Rock Engineers Steve Albini—Way Back in 1993—Part II" Accessed
August 19 2005
* [http://www.southern.net Southern Website]
* [http://www.southern.net/studio/ Southern Studios]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.