- Days of Waiting: The Life & Art of Estelle Ishigo
Days of Waiting Directed by Steven Okazaki Produced by Steven Okazaki
Assoc. Producer Cheryl Yoshioka
Written by Steven Okazaki Narrated by Dorothy Stroup
Additional Narration Lynn O'Donnell
Cinematography Steven Okazaki Editing by Steven Okazaki
Asst. Editor Cheryl Yoshioka
Distributed by Farallon Films
Center for Asian American Media
Release date(s) 1990 Running time 28 minutes Country United States Language English
Days of Waiting (1990) is a documentary short film by Steven Okazaki, about Estelle Ishigo, a Caucasian artist who went voluntarily to an internment camp for Japanese Americans during World War II. The film was inspired by Ishigo's book, "Lone Heart Mountain", and won an Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject and a Peabody Award.
During World War II, when 110,000 Japanese Americans were forcibly relocated from the West Coast, to various American concentration camps, Estelle Peck Ishigo refused to be separated from her Nisei Japanese American husband. She voluntarily accompanied him to the Heart Mountain War Relocation Center. A painter and illustrator, Ishigo documented her experience through her art. She later published these works and wrote about her experience in her book, "Lone Heart Mountain," which along with personal papers, were the basis of the film. She was discovered living in destitution in her senior years, by the filmmakers as they researched her story.
- Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject - 63rd Academy Awards (1991)
- Peabody Award – as presentation in PBS TV series, P.O.V. (1991)
- Gran Prix, Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival (1991)
- ^ "NY Times: Days of Waiting: The Life & Art of Estelle Ishigo". NY Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/300549/Days-of-Waiting/details. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- Days of Waiting at the Internet Movie Database
- Days of Waiting on farallon films site
- Lone Heart Mountain manuscript by Estelle Ishigo, at the Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA, via Calisphere.
Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject (1981–2000)
Close Harmony (1981) · If You Love This Planet (1982) · Flamenco at 5:15 (1983) · The Stone Carvers (1984) · Witness to War: Dr. Charlie Clements (1985) · Women – for America, for the World (1986) · Young at Heart (1987) · You Don't Have to Die (1988) · The Johnstown Flood (1989) · Days of Waiting (1990) · Deadly Deception: General Electric, Nuclear Weapons and Our Environment (1991) · Educating Peter (1992) · Defending Our Lives (1993) · A Time for Justice (1994) · One Survivor Remembers (1995) · Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien (1996) · A Story of Healing (1997) · The Personals (1998) · King Gimp (1999) · Big Mama (2000)
Complete list · (1941–1960) · (1961–1980) · (1981–2000) · (2001–2020)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.