- Cycling at the 2012 Summer Olympics
Cycling at the
2012 Summer Olympics
Road race men women Time trial men women Track cycling
Sprint men women Team sprint men women Keirin men women Team pursuit men women Omnium men women Mountain biking
Cross-country men women BMX
BMX men women
Cycling at the 2012 Summer Olympics is scheduled to take place at five different venues. The venues are the London Velopark for track cycling and BMX, and Hadleigh Farm in Essex for mountain biking. The road racing will take place over a course starting and ending in the Mall and heading into Surrey, the road time trial will be held at Hampton Court Palace.
18 events will be contested and 500 athletes are expected to participate.
There will be many changes in the Olympic track cycling programme. Men's and women's individual pursuit and points race, and men's Madison will be removed from the Olympic programme. Team sprint, team pursuit and keirin will be added to women's programme, while Omnium will be a new race for both men and women.
However, the road racing at the Olympics Paralympic Games, was originally scheduled to take place in Regent's Park and on Hampstead Heath. Instead the Olympic road races will start and finish on The Mall in central London and head out into Surrey to the south and include loops around Box Hill. Road racing at the Paralympics will take place at Brands Hatch. The Olympic Mountain bike event will take place at Hadleigh Farm after the event was moved from Weald Country Park, after the UCI labeled the course at the park "too easy" in July 2008 It was touted that the course could be created in Wales. A location in Kent was also considered
- ^ "VeloPark". http://www.london2012.com/games/venues/velopark.php. Retrieved 11 December 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "Hadleigh Farm, Essex". http://www.london2012.com/games/venues/hadleigh-farm-essex.php. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
- ^ "The Mall | Venues". London 2012. http://www.london2012.com/games/venues/the-mall.php. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ "IOC approves new events for London 2012". IOC. http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Media/?MediaNewsTab=0&articleNewsGroup=-1&articleId=75443. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
- ^ "London 2012 website on road cycling". London2012.com. http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-sports/cycling-road.php. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ "BBC Sport - Brands Hatch to host London 2012 Paralympic cycling". BBC News. 2011-05-20. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/13468812.stm. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ "BBC SPORT | Olympics | London 2012 | Essex venue to host 2012 biking". BBC News. 2008-08-11. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/7554020.stm. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ "BBC SPORT | Olympics & Olympic sport | London 2012 | Mountain bike course 'too easy'". BBC News. 2008-02-01. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/7222807.stm. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ "UK | Wales | Coe dampens mountain bike hopes". BBC News. 2008-07-01. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7483538.stm. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ Keith Bingham (2008-08-15). "Lord Coe selects Hadleigh in Essex as 2012 Olympic mtb venue | Olympics 2012". Cycling Weekly. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/olympics/346292/lord-coe-selects-hadleigh-in-essex-as-2012-olympic-mtb-venue.html. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
Events at the 2012 Summer Olympics (London)Archery • Athletics • Badminton • Basketball • Boxing • Canoeing • Cycling • Diving • Equestrian • Fencing • Field hockey • Football • Gymnastics • Handball • Judo • Modern pentathlon • Rowing • Sailing • Shooting • Swimming • Synchronized swimming • Table tennis • Taekwondo • Tennis • Triathlon • Volleyball • Water polo • Weightlifting • Wrestling Cycling at the Summer Olympics List of medalists (men, women) • List of Olympic records • List of Olympic venues
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.