- Indian School of Mines University
name=Indian School of Mines University
motto= Uttishthata Jagrata Prapya Varanni Bodhata - Katha Upanishad (1.3.14) (Awake, arise, strive for the highest and be in light)
chairman=Mr. Prateep Kumar Lahiri, IAS (Retd.)
director=Prof. T. Kumar
registrar=Col. P. S. Sandhu (Retd.)
Indian School of Mines(ISM) University is a fully residential, co-educational university located in the
mineral-rich belt of Indiain the city of Dhanbad, Jharkhand. It was established in 1926 on the lines of Royal School of Mines, London. Today, it is a multi-disciplinary institute catering to a wide range of engineeringand scientificdisciplines and is considered among the best engineering institutes in the country.
The Indian School of Mines is the only institute of its kind in India and has traditionally catered extensively to the
mechanical, mining, mineraland petroleumindustries. Yet, over the years, other engineering disciplines have made their mark in their respective sectors and are now churning out some of the most talented engineers in India. ISMU is also rapidly improving its position among the top engineering colleges of India. It is consistently ranked among the top academic institutions in India. In the latest national engineering colleges ranking by Outlook India (June 2007), ISM was placed 2nd, only next to its IIT-JEE league institutions.
After the enactment of Indian Mines Act of 1901, the need for a government college for
Mining Engineeringwas felt by the Indian Government. The Indian National Congressin its Calcuttasession of 1901also endorsed this idea. A committee of experts under the chairmanship of MacPherson, the then Chief Secretary of Biharand Orissawas formed to study the system of mining education in Europe, especially England. On the basis of the report submitted by the committee, the Indian Government, in 1920, decided to establish a national institute for mining education, fully funded by Central Government, in "Dhanbad".
"Indian School of Mines University" was formally inaugrated by His Excellency, the then Viceroy of India,
Lord Irwinon 9th December, 1926as the first Mineral TechnologyInstitute in the country on the model of the Royal School of Mines. From the very day of its inception, ISM has had a national character and outlook, with intake of students from all over the country.
The institute initially offered courses in Mining Engineering and Applied
Geologyand was known as Indian School of Mines & Applied Geology. In 1957, the institute began offering two additional courses Petroleum Engineeringand Applied Geophysics. The institute was granted "University" status under the UGC Act in 1967. Later courses in Mining Machinery Engineeringand Mineral Engineering were started in 1975and 1976respectively.
It was among the few institutes to start courses in Industrial Engineering & Management way back in 1977, to cater to the needs of Industries like Metallurgy, Mining & Manufacturing.
In 1997, the institute began admitting students through the Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) conducted jointly by the
Indian Institutes of Technology, the Institute of Technology - BHU and the Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad. In 1998 courses for Electronics Engineeringand Computer Sciencewere introduced and in 1999 Mechanical Engineering.
In 2006, ISM started offering as many as 14 new courses, prominent among them being
Electrical Engineeringand a unique course in Environmental Engineeringin the undergraduate curriculum. ISM also started integrated Graduate engineering and management courses in Mining, Mineral and Petroleum engineering, anticipating a growing need for such graduates. This was the first such course offered by any technical institution in India.
Indian School of Mines University (ISMU) is located in the heart of the country's prime coking coal belt at Dhanbad, 260 Km away from Kolkata on Howrah-New Delhi Grand Chord Railway route. With a campus spread over 88 hectares (220 acres), ISMU has all the facilities of world class academic institute.
The Main Building of ISMU houses the four traditional departments of the institute: Mining Engineering, Applied Geology, Petroleum Engineering and Applied Geophysics. The new Lecture Hall Complex inaugrated in 2006 is an architectural marvel and also houses an open air theatre. ISM also has an extensive geological museum, again a unique feature. The Penmann Auditorium near the main building is used for official functions and events while the Golden Jubilee Lecture Theatre (GJLT) is used for workshops, presentations and seminars.
Being a fully residential campus, ISMU has 8 hostels-5 for boys and 3 for girls: * Diamond Hostel * Opal Hostel * Emerald Hostel * Topaz Hostel * Sapphire Hostel * Ruby Hostels (for female students)
Three new hostels- Amber, Jasper and another extension of Ruby are currently under construction. In addition, there are two hostels for Research Scholars as well as a Senior Academic Hostel. ISMU is rapidly expanding and is in the process of acquiring new land adjacent to the present campus, which will nearly double its size.
The Central Library is the heart of the University. It is completely automated and provides services seven days a week, catering information to more than 2000 users belonging to 15 departments and centers. Boasting a rich collection, the library houses more than 80,000 books, 8000 Ph.D thesis and dissertations, 35,000 bound volumes of Journals and 1200 digital books in the form CD's and DVD's. The library provides access to more than 2000 full text scholarly research journals. The library collection is available online through a web-based Public Access Catalogue. Creation of different databases for the last 80 years collection was started in the year 2001 after the procurement of a library management software called "LIBSYS". The whole library collection is now bar-coded.
In addition to these, the computer center supports a campus-wide fiber optic network (ATM backbone switch) connecting all the departments, libraries and hostels. Internet and e-mail services are provided to all the users though International Internet Gateway of 8 Mbit/s.
ISMU also has its own Health Centre which provides medical care to students, faculty and all staff members and their families residing in the campus.
Within a few hours distance from the ISM campus are located great spots for trekking, outings and picnics. The popular spots among the students are the Parasnath Hill, Maithon Dam and Deoghar, all within one or two hours from the campus and waterfalls like Johna, Dassam and Hundru near Ranchi, just over 160 km from Dhanbad. Other nearby scenic sites are the Rajmahal Hills and forests like Saranda near Palamu.
To have a virtual tour of the campus, [http://virtualism.co.in/ click here]
Departments and Centers
ISMU has the following departments and centers:
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/chemistry/ Applied Chemistry]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/geology/ Applied Geology]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/geophysics/ Applied Geophysics]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/math/ Applied Mathematics]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/physics/ Applied Physics]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/cse/ Computer Science and Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/electrical/ Electrical Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/electronics/ Electronics & Instrumentation]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/memme/ Mining Machinery Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/cme/ Environmental Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/fuelmeneral/ Fuel and Mineral Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/hss/ Humanities and Social Sciences]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/management/ Management Studies (Formerly Industrial Engineering & Management)]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/memme/ Mechanical Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/mining/ Mining Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/petro/ Petroleum Engineering]
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/depart/cme/ Center for Mining Environment]
* Center for Longwall Mine Mechanization. [refer http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in for verification on departments] All departments have well-equipped laboratories. A Longwall Mine gallery, a Seismic observatory with data processing laboratory and remote sensing laboratory are feathers in the cap of ISMU.
ISM offers a wide variety of courses of study in engineering, pure sciences, management and humanities with a primary focus on engineering. The programmes and courses offered at ISM have the flexibility to evolve and change, and to respond to new challenges as ISM is evolving into a full fledged engineering university from the earlier focus on mining and earth sciences.
The Institute conducts educational programmes leading to the degree of Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.), Master of Science (MSc.), Master of Science and Technology (M.Sc.Tech.), Master of Technology (M.Tech.), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Philosophy (MPhil.) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD.) in the following areas:
The students of B.Tech, Dual Degree and Integrated courses at ISMU are selected through the Joint Entrance Examination(JEE) conducted by the IITs. At a given time, the campus is home to more than 2000 people, comprising of students, faculty and non academic staff.
Life at ISM
ISM has a very active student life enabling students to grow in all fields. Students must choose between National Cadet Corps (NCC), National Service Scheme (NSS), National Sports Organisation (NSO) and Yoga.
ISM University plays host to three annual inter-college fests, which receives enthusiastic participation from students of colleges from all over the country. [http://www.srijan-ism.org/ SRIJAN ] is a three-day annual inter-university techno-cultural cum management fest which takes place in the third week of February. [http://www.sparx.org.in/ SPARX] , organised by the IEEE Student branch at ISMU is a technical fest organized in second week of January every year.Fest includes robotics, coding, paper presentations, online events, inter school science exhibition and various other technical events and on-the-spot events. The third fest organised at ISMU is [http://www.mechathlon.com/ MECHATHLON] , organised by the Mechanical Engineering department and has events such as robotics, technical quizzes, paper presentations, guest lectures and various on-the-spot events. ISM also holds an annual two-day-long sports competition and day-night inter-technical college cricket and football tournaments called [http://www.muqabala.com/ Muqabla] and the Calcio Cup respectively. Annual intramural competitions for cricket, football, badminton, table tennis etc. are notable features as is the two-day Annual Sports. Athletic competitions include track and field events, long jump, high jump, pole vaulting, discus throw, javelin throw, shot-put etc. Non-athletic events include sack races, tug-o-wars, and even pillow fights.
On the cultural front, Pratibimb, the ten-day inter-departmental Cultural Competition is held in January every year with enthusiastic participation in events such as Hindi and English vocals, Instrumentals, Dance, Mime, Skits, Quizzes, Dumb-charades, Fashion Show, Antakshari etc. Musical Nights, regularly organised Dj Nights, Kavi Sammelans also form an integral part of ISM culture. Other noticeable features are the events of SPICMACAY, Painting Exhibitions, Yoga Workshops etc. All festivals are celebrated with a lot of fervour in the campus, with everyone participating in the fun and frolic. The annual Basant Utsav is an important date in every ISMites calendar when the students get the opportunity to interact with the distinguished alumni, besides being a time for old friends to reunite.
Student clubs in ISM include Cultural Scientific and Literary Society (CSLS), Cyber Society, Music Society, Photographic Society and Chayanika Sangh(whose objective is the promotion of Hindi). The societies mentioned above function under the purview of the ISM Students Society(ISS) which is the link between the administration and the students. ISM also has active student branches of international technical organizations like Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE), ACM, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Society of Petroleum Engineers(SPE) and Society of Exploration Geophysicists(SEG).
Other activities include the voluntary efforts by the students to teach and provide education to the underprivileged children of nearby areas under the name of [http://www.kartavya.org/ Kartavya] (Duty). As a movement, Kartavya has grown exponentially in the last few years and centres at NIT, Jamshedpur, NIT, Durgapur, NIT, PATNA and NIFFT, Ranchi have been established. Another initiative called [http://www.fastforwardindia.org/ Fast Forward India (FFI)] , a unique effort to find creative and powerful ways to tackle problems that impact the lives of millions of under-served people in India has been taken. ISM students also frequently organize blood donation camps, hygiene awareness campaigns for locales and career counseling programs for school students.
A monthly in-campus students' newsletter called [http://www.mailerdaemon.in/ Mailer Daemon] is also published by an independent student body. [http://www.genesis-ismu.org/ Genesis] , the entrepreneurship cell of ISMU has recently been established and seeks to promote ideas, intellect, imagination and entrepreneurial skills among students.
* [http://www.ce.cmu.edu/~amita/ Prof. Amit Acharya] , Professor, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (Class of 1988).
* Dr. Ram G. Agarwal, Well Test Expert, Former Senior Technical Advisor, [http://www.bp.com BP USA] .
* Mr C. Amitabh, Director, [http://www.csican.com/ CSI Consulting Inc] .
* [http://www.utdallas.edu/~bardhan Prof. Indranil R. Bardhan] Associate Professor, School of Management, University of Texas, Dallas, USA
* Mr Sunil Kumar Barnwal, IAS, Bihar Cadre, 1st Rank in Civil Services Examination - 1994, India (Class of 1992).
* Dr. Ragula Bhaskar, founder president and CEO FatPipe Networks (the inventor of router clustering devices for reliable, redundant and fast Internet/Wide Area Network (WANs) connections) (class of 1981).
* [http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/staff/mrinal Prof. Mrinal K. Sen] Professor and Jackson Chair in Applied Seismology, Jacskon School of Geosciences, Univ of Texas at Austin, TX, USA.
* Dr. Atul Arya, Vice President, bp, London
* Mr Santosh Senapati, Managing Director, AIG Global Investment Group, India.
* [http://www.sursez.com/managements.htm/ Mr S. N. Sharma] , Chairman and Managing Director, SURSEZ (
Surat Special Economic Zone). SURSEZ is the First Privately Operating SEZ in India.
* Mr Ashok Kumar Singh, Director (tech) Operations, Central Coalfields Limited, Ranchi.
* Mr Kharak Singh, President, E & P, Essar Oil India.
* Dr. Madan M. Singh, Director, Society of Mining Engineers, USA.
* Mr Mahendra P. Singh, Director (Mining), Mittal Steel, UK.
* Mr P. J. Singh, CEO, Bay Area Systems, Silicon Valley entrepreneur. His new company was on the Q1 2005 [http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/dealflow/archives/2005/04/stealth_deals_o.html stealth deals] list in BusinessWeek.
* Prof. Shri Krishna Singh, Department Head, Instituto de Geofísica, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico.
* Mr A K Sinha, Director (Business Development), Baker Hughes Group, India.
* Dr. Mihir K. Sinha, Founder IFTC and Former Vice President, J P Morgan, USA.
* [http://www.pge.utexas.edu/faculty/srinivasan.cfm Prof. Sanjay Srinivasan] , Dept. of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA, (Class of 1987).
* [http://www.geol.sc.edu/talwani.htm Prof. Pradeep Talwani] Professor of Geophysics, University of South Carolina and Director, South Carolina Seismic Network, SC, USA.
* Dr. Ganesh Thakur, Reservoir Engg. Adviser, Chevron USA.
* Mr Sudhir Kumar Varma, Pickering Medal 1962. Retired Chairman cum Managing Director CCL/ECL/CMPDI.
* [http://oilindia.nic.in/ourcomp_directors.htm/ Mr N. M. Borah] Director (Operations), OIL India Ltd, India.
* Mr Tapan Bose, Vice President, Satyam Computers, India.
* Mr I L Budhiraja, President Petroleum Businesses, E&P, Reliance Industries Ltd., India
* Mr Atul Chandra, Head (International Division - E & P), Reliance Industries Ltd. and former CMD, ONGC Videsh Ltd., India.
* Mr U. D. Choubey, Chairman and Managing Director, [http://www.gailonline.com GAIL India Ltd.]
* [http://www.medicomsoft.com/Management.htm/ Amrit S. Chopra] CEO and MD, Medicom, India.
* Dr. Chayan Chakrabarty, President and Director, [http://www.averyresources.com/ Avery Resources Inc.] , Calgary, Canada
* Mr Suresh C. Chugh, Former Managing Director, J P Morgan, USA.
* [http://www.ngri.org.in/docs/home.html/ Dr. V. P. Dimri] Director, National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad, India
* [http://www.mti.gov.bt/dgm/ourpeople.html Mr Yeshi Dorji] , Head of Geological Survey of Bhutan
* Mr Ramesh Gopalan, Country Head (India), [http://www.gridstoneresearch.com Gridstone Research] , (Class of 1989).
* [http://www.pe.tamu.edu/datta-gupta/ Prof. Akhil Dutta-Gupta] , Professor and LeSuer Chair in Reservoir Management, Texas A&M University (Class of 1982).
* Dr. Harsha Gupta, Raja Ramanna Fellow, NGRI Hyderabad,
* [http://www.cmsu.edu/cis/html/kesh.html Dr. Someshwar Kesh] , Harmon College of Business Administration, Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, New York
* [http://www.bg-india.com/manage/mg_rk.htm/ Mr Rajeev Khanna] , Director, Policy & Corporate Affairs, BG India
* [http://www.uaf.edu/petrol/index_files/page0011.htm Prof. Santanu Khataniar] Professor of Petroleum Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks, AK, USA.
* Dr. Anil Kumar, President, Anil Kumar & Associates and Senior Adviser ExxonMobil E&P Technology Center, USA.
* Mr Shashi Kumar, Chairman, Coal India Limited.
* Mr Randhir Kumar, IAS, 3rd Rank, Civil Services Examination-2005.
* Mr Nand Kumaram, IAS, 8th Rank, Civil Services Examination-2008.
* Mr Susanta Mazumdar, Director (Research) UBS Warburg, (Class of 1989).
* Mr Waman Bapuji Metre, Pioneer in Indian Oil Industry, Known as Dādā Metre ('Elder Brother'),
Padma Bhushanin 1968.
* [http://www.nalcoindia.com/RLINKS/default.htm/Mr S.K. Misra] , Director (Production), NALCO, India.
* [http://www.ongcindia.com/board.asp Mr. N. K. Mitra] , Director (Offshore), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd., India.
* [http://www.pe.utulsa.edu/alumni/monthly_alumni/alumnus_200501.html/ Hemanta Mukherjee] , Production Engg Expert, Founder, iPoint LLC.
* [http://www.upesindia.org/coe.asp/ Dr. B. P. Pandey] , Dean, College of Engg., UPES, Dehradun, India.
* Mr K. K. Passi, Deputy Director General of Mines Safety, DGMS, India.
* Mr A. G. Pramanik, Executive Director, ONGC Ltd and Member, European Academy of Sciences, Brussels, Belgium.
* [http://mpge.ou.edu/faculty_staff/faculty.html Prof. Chandra S. Rai] , Mewborne Chair Professor, Mewborne School of Petroleum and Geological Engineering, University of Oklahoma,USA
* [http://www.nesrentals.com/about_nes/officers.aspx/ Mr Ananda Rakhit] VP and Chief Information Officer, NES Rentals, USA
* [http://www.egee.psu.edu/Faculty/ramani.htm/ Prof. Raja V. Ramani] Professor Emeritus, Mining and Geo-Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, PA, USA (Class of 1962).
* Mr R. P. Ritolia, Chairman cum Managing Director, Central Coalfields Limited, Ranchi.
* [http://www.asp.adelaide.edu.au/staff/hsarma01/ Prof. Hemanta K Sarma] Professor and Reg Sprigg Chair in Petroleum Engineering, Adelaide University, Australia.
* [http://www.mti.gov.bt/dgm/ourpeople.html Mr. Dorji Wangda] , Director, Department of Geology and Mines (DGM), Bhutan.
* [http://www.ismdhanbad.ac.in/ Indian School of Mines University]
* [http://www.ismaa.org/ ISM Alumni Association Homepage]
* [http://www.ismlib.ac.in/ ISM Central Library]
* [http://virtualism.co.in/ Virtual Campus Tour of ISMU]
* [http://www.kartavya.org/ Kartavya]
* [http://www.fastforwardindia.org/ Fast Forward India]
* [http://www.mailerdaemon.in/ MAILER DAEMON: ISMU students' official newsletter]
* [http://www.genesisismu.org/ GENESIS]
* [http://www.ieee-ismu.org/ IEEE-ISMU Student Branch]
* [http://ismdhanbad.spe.org/ SPE Student Chapter, ISM University]
Fests and Events
* [http://www.srijan-ism.org/ Srijan]
* [http://www.sparx.org.in/ SPARX- Annual Techfest of IEEE Student Branch at ISMU]
* [http://www.mechathlon.com/ Mechathlon]
* [http://www.muqabala.com/ Muqabala, Vishal Mishra Memorial Day Night Cricket Tournament]
* [http://www.athletica2k8.com/ Athletica]
Groups for ISMites
* [http://groups.google.com.sg/group/ieee-ismu-branch Google group for IEEE ISMU branch members]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.