- Jim Buckmaster
Jim Buckmaster (born in
Ann Arbor) is a programmerwho has been the chief executive officerof Craigslistsince 2000. He was an undergraduate at Virginia Techand studied medicine and classics at the University of Michiganin the 1990s. [Zipkin, Amy. " [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/business/yourmoney/26boss.html?_r=1&oref=slogin Not Easily Classified] ". " New York Times". URL accessed on April 1 2006.]
In January 2000, he was recruited by Craigslist as lead programmer, where he contributed the site's multi-city architecture, search engine, discussion forums, flagging system, self-posting process, homepage design, personals categories, and best-of-craigslist. In November 2000, he was promoted to the post of CEO. [ [http://www.craigslist.org/about/management.html Craigslist Management] . URL accessed on April 1 2006.]
A fan of
Noam Chomsky, Buckmaster has been described as anti-capitalistic or a communist [Lashinsky, Adam. " [http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2005/12/12/8363113/index.htm Burning Sensation] " " Fortune (magazine)" URL accessed on April 7 2006] , which he claims is an inadequate characterization:
"We are not so much anti-capitalist (...) We're fortunate enough to have built a very healthy business, even though we haven't attempted to. All we have done is stop short of trying to become insanely wealthy. We have met billionaires and it sounds funny but it's not necessarily a bed of roses to have that kind of money. (...) Their life becomes about figuring out how to employ all that money either by philanthropy or other means. So we don't consider it that revolutionary to have stopped short of that." [ Cave, Adam. " [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/03/18/ccprof18.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/03/18/ixcoms.html Becoming a Billionaire? That's not on my list...] " "
Daily Telegraph" URL accessed on April 7 2006.]
* [http://www.craigslist.org/about/jim_buckmaster Jim Buckmaster Bio] , Bio page from craigslist web site
* [http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008531 Zen and the Art of Classified Advertising] , WSJ Interview with Jim Buckmaster
* [http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/08/06/100141309/index.htm Questions for Jim Buckmaster] Fortune Magazine Q & A
* [http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070808.gtcraig0808/BNStory/GlobeTQ/home Hippie Gets a Job] Globe & Mail Profile
* [http://news.com.com/1606-2-6035150.html?tag=st.rb Wall Street Meets California Cool] Videotaped onstage interview at
* [http://danbricklin.com/log/2006_09_18.htm#mitx1205 MITX Fireside Chat (podcast)] - Q & A with Scott Kirsner
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.