Leiomyosarcoma is a type of
sarcomawhich is a neoplasmof smooth muscle. (When benign, it is called a leiomyoma.) Smooth muscle cells make up the involuntary muscles, which are found in most parts of the body: in uterus, stomach and intestines, walls of all blood vessels, and skin. It is therefore possible for leiomyosarcomas to appear at any site in the body. It is however most commonly found in the stomach, small intestineand retroperitoneum.cite journal |author=Piovanello P, Viola V, Costa G, "et al" |title=Locally advanced leiomyosarcoma of the spleen. A case report and review of the literature |journal=World J Surg Oncol |volume=5 |issue=1 |pages=135 |year=2007 |pmid=18045454 |doi=10.1186/1477-7819-5-135 |url=http://www.wjso.com/content/5/1/135]
Leiomyosarcoma is a very rare
cancer. It makes up 7% of soft tissue sarcomas, which are in themselves rare cancers.fact|date=April 2008
Notable people who had leiomyosarcoma include Canadian public health physician
Sheela Basrurand American broadcaster Joe Murphy, Diana Sands(actress) and Katie Price.
*humpath [http://www.humpath.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=2434 #2434] (Pathology images)
* [http://www.leiomyosarcoma.info Leiomyosarcoma Info] Comprehensive reference site.
* [http://www.nlmsf.org/ National Leiomyosarcoma Foundation]
* [http://www.lmsdr.org Leiomyosarcoma Direct Research Foundation]
* [http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/13242.cfm Sloan Kettering]
* [http://e-cj.home.comcast.net/LMS.html CJ Morgan's Leiomyosarcoma Resource Page] A collection of LMS resources
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.