- Johanna Nichols
Linguist Johanna Nichols is a
professorin the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of California, Berkeley. Her research interests include the Slavic languages, the linguistic prehistory of northern Eurasia, language typology, ancient linguistic prehistory, and languages of the Caucasus, chiefly Chechen and Ingush.
Linguistic Diversity in Space and Time"
This book (Chicago, 1992) is Nichols's best known work, considered a pioneering work in the use of linguistic typology as a tool for understanding human migrations in prehistory. [ [http://www.lsadc.org/index2.php?aaa=honorsawards.html Leonard Bloomfield Book Award] ]
* [http://www.terralingua.org/Conference%20Abstracts/Nichols.htm Linguistic Diversity and Language Origins]
* [http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/13/6585 Mathematical approaches to comparative linguistics]
* [http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/96/6/3325 Linguistic diversity of the Americas can be reconciled with a recent colonization]
* [http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/reprints/burenhult/buhult-prehist/rep-burenhult.htm Deep Linguistic Prehistory with particular reference to Andamanese]
Languages of the Caucasus
* [http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~chechen/ The Chechen Language]
* [http://ingush.berkeley.edu:7012/ The Ingush Language]
* [http://popgen.well.ox.ac.uk/eurasia/htdocs/nichols/nichols.html An overview of languages of the Caucasus]
* [http://scicom.ucsc.edu/SciNotes/9901/echoes/echoes.htm Biography of Johanna Nichols]
* [http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~jbn/ Johanna Nichols' homepage]
* [http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~jbn/JN_fullpubs.html Johanna Nichols' Publications]
* [http://aalc07.psu.edu/papers/jn_typol_class3.pdf Typology in the service of classification: Alternative approaches to language classification] Stanford, July 17-19, 2007
* [http://www.livingreviews.org/wals/author#nicholsj World Atlas of Language Structures]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.