Infobox musical artist
Name = Adem
Background = solo_singer
Birth_name = Adem Ilhan
South London, England
URL = [http://www.adem.tv/ www.adem.tv]
Adem Ilhan is a Turkish-English musician from
South London, who releases music under the name Adem (pronounced Ah-Dem). His music is sometimes described as being part of the nu-folkmovement. He is also the bass guitarist in the post-rockband Fridge, alongside Kieran Hebden.
Adem's debut solo album, "
Homesongs", appeared on Domino Records in 2004. Mixed by Hebden, the album found critical acclaim with limited commercial success. The album includes the song "Statued", which featured on the soundtrack of the film " Dead Man's Shoes".
A second album, "
Love and Other Planets", was released on April 24, 2006to generally favorable reviews.
Adem has recently finished work on his third album "
Takes", a collection of cover songs which have influenced the artist over the years, some dating back to his youth. The album includes tracks originally written and performed by Yo La Tengo, The Smashing Pumpkins, Björk, dEUS among others.
In 2008 Adem along with (
Jeremy Warmsley& Mystery Jets) contributed the song "Grains of Sand" to the Survival Internationalcharity album " Songs for Survival".
Homesongs" ( 29 March 2004)
Love and Other Planets" ( 24 April 2006) UK #180
Takes" ( 12 May 2008)
*"These Are Your Friends" (
17 May 2004) (CD/10")
*"Ringing in My Ear" (
13 September 2004) (CD/7")
19 June 2006) - ONLY as a free download on iTunes 'Free Single of The Week'
*"Launch Yourself" (2007) (CD/7") UK #157
*Adem contributed a cover of
Jeff Buckley's " Mojo Pin" for the 2005 tribute album "".
*Adem plays the bass and sings on English folk supergroup
The Memory Band's 2006 album " Apron Strings".
*Adem is the founder and organiser of the
Homefires Festival, which takes place at the Conway Hallin London, UK.
*Adem remixed the track "Welcome, Ghosts" for a special edition release of
Explosions in the Sky's 2007 album " All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone".
*Adem plays on
Vashti Bunyan's 2006 album " Lookaftering"
*Ilhan attended the
University of Warwick, UK.
*In December 2006, Adem played a free concert in Barrhead Community
Library, commenting "I love libraries. [...] The existence of public libraries is one of my favourite achievements of human kind." [ [http://www.adem.tv/#article67 Adem Homepage] ]
*Sang cover of Johnny Cash's "
I Walk the Line" for a 2006 Levi's "Slim Straight" Jeans commercial. [ [http://www.duncans.tv/2006/levis-straight-walk-the-line Levis Walk The Line » Television Adverts at Duncan’s TV Ad Land ] ]
The Memory Band
* [http://www.adem.tv Official Website]
* [http://www.3ammagazine.com/musicarchives/2004/aug/interview_adem.html "3 AM Magazine" interview (2004)]
* [http://www.junkmedia.org/index.php?i=1189 Junkmedia interview (2004)]
* [http://www.thememoryband.com/ The Memory Band]
* [http://www.twistedear.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=429&Itemid=29 Twisted Ear 2006 Interview]
* [http://www.duncans.tv/2006/levis-straight-walk-the-line Details of a Levi's Jeans ad, featuring vocals by Adem]
* [http://www.kevchino.com/interview/adem/3 kevchino 2004 Interview]
* [http://www.exclaim.ca/musicreviews/generalreview.aspx?csid1=124&csid2=850&fid1=32657 Adem at exclaim!]
* [http://www.whisperinandhollerin.com/chat/chat.asp?id=1425 Adem interview]
* [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15328268 Adem at NPR Music]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.