Homicide Murder Note: Varies by jurisdiction Assassination · Child murder
Contract killing · Felony murder rule
Honor killing · Human sacrifice (Child)
Lust murder · Lynching
Mass murder · Murder–suicide
Proxy murder · Lonely hearts killer
Serial killer · Spree killer
Torture murder · Feticide
Double murder · Misdemeanor murder
Crime of passion · Internet homicide
Manslaughter in English law
Non-criminal homicide Note: Varies by jurisdiction Justifiable homicide
By victim or victims Suicide Family
Familicide · Avunculicide
Avunculicide is the act of killing an uncle. The word can also refer to someone who commits such an act. The term is derived from the Latin words avunculus meaning "maternal uncle" and caedere meaning "to cut or kill". Edmunds suggests that in mythology avunculicide is a substitute for parricide. The killing of a nephew is a nepoticide.
Avunculicide in history
- The founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus, accidentally kill their uncle, Amulius.
- In 1385, Bernabò Visconti died after his nephew Gian Galeazzo Visconti had him imprisoned and presumably poisoned.
- In 1975, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia was assassinated by his nephew, Faisal bin Musa'id.
- In 2001, Crown Prince Dipendra of Nepal killed his uncle Dhirendra during the Nepalese royal massacre.
Avunculicide in fiction
- In God of War III (2010), Kratos brutally murders his uncle Helios by tearing his head off his shoulders.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Huang avenges his father's death by killing his Uncle Kenny Lee, as he killed his father, and tries to kill him.
- Hamlet kills his uncle, King Claudius.
- In Vladimir Nabokov's 1928 novel King, Queen, Knave, Franz intends to murder his uncle; the narrator tells us that later on he will be "guilty of worse sins than avunculicide".
- In the Hellsing (1997-2008) manga series, Integra kills her uncle, who wanted the Hellsing organization for his own selfish purposes, in self defense after unintentionally reviving the vampire Alucard with blood from a gunshot wound.
- Kill Uncle (1991), Morrissey's second solo album
- Louis Mazzini commits avunculicide in the 1949 movie, Kind Hearts and Coronets
- In the 1966 horror movie, Let's Kill Uncle, the evil uncle is to be killed in self-defense.
- Familial killing terms:
- Avunculicide, the killing of one's uncle
- Filicide, the killing of one's child
- Fratricide, the killing of one's brother
- Mariticide, the killing of one's husband
- Matricide, the killing of one's mother
- Nepoticide, the killing of one's nephew
- Parricide, the killing of one's parents or another close relative
- Patricide, the killing of one's father
- Prolicide, is the killing of one's offspring
- Sororicide, the killing of one's sister
- Uxoricide, the killing of one's wife
- Non-familial killing terms from the same root:
- Deicide is the killing of a god
- Genocide is the killing of a large group of people, usually a specific and entire ethnic, racial, religious or national group
- Homicide is the killing of any human
- Infanticide, the killing of an infant from birth to 12 months
- Regicide is the killing of a monarch (king or ruler)
- Tyrannicide is the killing of a tyrant
- ^ a b c Time Magazine: Nepoticide v. Avunculicide Retrieved 2009-06-06
- ^ a b Edmunds L. Oedipus: a folklore casebook. Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 1995. p. 64. ISBN 0299148548. http://books.google.com/books?id=D3iiJT5avfEC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&ots=9lvvb6YkFG&dq=nepoticide&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html.
- ^ Barbara Tuchman (1978). A Distant Mirror. New York: A.A.Knopf. p. 418.
- ^ "1975: Saudi's King Faisal assassinated, BBC On this Day". BBC News. 1975, March 25. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/25/newsid_4233000/4233595.stm.
- ^ "The Royal Ark". royalark.net. http://www.royalark.net/Nepal/nepal11.htm.
- ^ Leona Toker. Nabokov. The Mystery of Literary Structure. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York, 1989. Page 63. ISBN 0801422116
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.