- Roberto Quaglia
advert = February 2008
expert = Science FictionInfobox Writer
name = Roberto Quaglia
nationality = Italian
website = http://www.robertoquaglia.com
Roberto Quaglia (born
1962), is an Italian author. His first novel, "Butter, Bread and paradoxine", was prefaced by American science fictionlegend Robert Sheckley[ [http://www.robertoquaglia.com/rs_intro.html Introduction by Robert Sheckley to Roberto Quaglia's "Pane burro e paradossina." ] ] . Many of his science fictionworks have been translated and published in Romania, by Nemira. Some of them also in English, Russian, Czech, Hungarian and Dutch.
Beyond his activity as an author, like many writers Quaglia has gone through a variety of different jobs: photographer, owner and barman of a pub,
internetentrepreneur, politician.From the beginning of 1995to the end of 1997he was a Councillor in Genova. [ [http://www.robertoquaglia.com/politicae.html Political Documents and Speeches in Genova ] ]
1989he is active in science fiction fandom, and starting from 2002he is vice-chairman of ESFS("European Science Fiction Society"), the organization which coordinates the Eurocon.
1994his notorious friendship with Robert Sheckleystarts, first as penpals, and from 1999also in real life. In 1999he travels with Sheckley around Europefor over one month. In the following years their friendship becomes closer and closer so that repeatedly they meet again for sharing long journeys together. All this travelling produces a huge quantity of footage and pictures, a part of which is visible on the web. [ [http://www.robertoquaglia.com/foto/fotoindexsheckley.html My Robert Sheckley pictures collection ] ] In 2004Quaglia and Sheckley start planning to write two books together. This project becomes public a few months before Sheckley's death, in an article published by the Ukrainianpress during Sheckley's last journey, which was a tour of Ukrainetogether with Quaglia. [http://www.robertoquaglia.com/img/press/Sheckley_Quaglia_Odessa_press_conference_2005_bis.jpg] Sheckley's passing away of course puts a stop to this project.
2003Quaglia and British writer Ian Watsonmeet and they immediately become good friends. This leads to a literary cooperation and together they write the collection of "My Beloved" stories. Some of these stories can be read for free on the Internet, having been published by Helix[ [http://www.helixsf.com/archives/Jan07/fiction/Q3_watsonquaglia_massext.htm Helix :: "The Mass Extinction of My Beloved" by Ian Watson and Roberto Quaglia ] ] , Flurb[ [http://www.flurb.net/3/3watson.htm Ian Watson & Roberto Quaglia, "Beloved Vampire of the Blood Comet," Flurb #3 ] ] and in the US, Clarkesworld Magazine[ [http://www.clarkesworldmagazine.com/watson_11_06.html Clarkesworld Magazine » The Moby Clitoris of His Beloved by Ian Watson and Roberto Quaglia ] ] . Other stories have been published on US magazine Weird Tales, the Canadian anthology "Lust For Life" [ [http://www.amazon.com/dp/1550652036/thestrangeworldo Amazon.com: Lust for Life: Tales of Sex and Love: Claude Lalumiere,Elise Moser: Books ] ] , New Writings in the Fantastic [ [http://www.pendragonpress.co.uk/bookpages/newriters.htm Pendragon Press | New Writings in the Fantastic edited by John Grant ] ] , the "Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica volume 7" [ [http://www.internetbookshop.it/book/9780786720750/jakubowski-maxim/mammoth-book-best.html?shop=1765 Book - IBS - The Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica: Volume 7 ] ] , and in a few more books. Some of these stories have as well been translated into other languages.
* "Bread, Butter and Paradoxine" Volume I (1985) & Volume II (1999), published on Romanian by in 1999, and in limited edition on English by Delosbooks in 2001, preface by
Robert Sheckley- Italian title: "Pane burro e paradossina"
* "The Vagabond of Ether" (1990), published on Romanian by in 1994 - Italian title "Il Vagabondo dell'Etere"
Main published works
* "Somebody up there somebody is lusting for me" (1992) on English - SF play (this book has been distributed as a free gift to all attenders of Eurocon 1993 in Jersey)
* "The future of science fiction" (1995) in English - essay - pubblished in the official Souvenir Book of
Intersection, the 53rd World Science Fiction Convention, Glasgow
* "God Ltd" (1998), short stories collection, published in Romanian by - Italian title: "Dio S.r.l."
* "Stochastic Thought" (2003), published in Italian by collection of essays of philosophy and science fiction. Published in Romanian with the title of "Gandirea Stocastica" (2004), by - original Italian title "Pensiero stocastico"
* "All what you know is wrong" (2003), the Italian version of the American bestseller, published by , author of the first essay, the controversial "All what you wanted to know about
September 11, but you have never dared to ask yourself"
* "The September 11th Myth and the Doctor Strangelove Option" [ [http://www.mito11settembre.it Il Mito dell'11 Settembre e l'Opzione Dottor Stranamore ] ] (2006), (2007 second edition) published in Italian by PonSinMor, Italian title: "Il Mito dell'11 Settembre e l'Opzione Dottor Stranamore" - ISBN 978-88-902775-1-1
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.