- Alexander Kushner
Alexander Semenovich Kushner ( _ru. Александр Семёнович Кушнер) (born
September 14, 1936) is a prominent Russian living poet from Saint Petersburg.
Kushner was born into a
Jewishfamily in Leningrad; his father was a military engineer. He graduated from Herzen Universityand taught Russian literature from 1959 to 1969, after which he turned to the professional writing of verse. Over 30 years, he wrote about 15 books of verse and two books of essays and was a member of the Writers' Union (from 1965) and the Russian PENCenter (from 1987) as well as editor-in-chief of "Biblioteka poeta" (the "Library of the Poet" series). He has been a personal friend of Joseph Brodskyand Alexei Purin, among others. His only son Eugene and his family live in Israel.
In his poetry Alexander Kushner is sometimes considered to be close to Acmeism with a strong accent on general culture. He usually does not use
free verseand does not experiment a lot with form, preferring a classic style. The Nobel Prize winner Brodsky characterized Kushner as "one of the best lyric poets of XX century, his name is to stand in the line of names dear to the heart of everyone whose native language is Russian" [Forward by J. Brodsky to "Selected Verse of Kushner", St. Petersburg: Khudozhetvennaya literatura]
His books of poetry have been translated into English, Italian, and Dutch; samples of his verse have appeared in German, French, Japanese, Hebrew, Czech, and Bulgarian.
Books of verse
* The First Impression ( _ru. Первое впечатление) 1962.
* The Night Watch ( _ru. Ночной дозор) 1966.
* Omens ( _ru. Приметы) 1969.
* The Writing ( _ru. Письмо) 1974.
* The Direct Speech ( _ru. Прямая речь) 1975.
* The Voice ( _ru. Голос) 1978.
* Tavrichesky Garden ( _ru. Таврический сад) 1984.
* Day Dreams ( _ru. Дневные сны) 1986.
* The Fence Hedge ( _ru. Живая изгородь) 1988
* Night Music ( _ru. Ночная музыка) 1991.
* On the Dark Star ( _ru. На сумрачной звезде) 1994.
* The Milfoil ( _ru. Тысячелистник) 1998.
* Bank of Clouds ( _ru. Летучая гряда) 2000.
* Bushes ( _ru. Кустарник) 2002.
* The Cold May ( _ru. Холодный май) 2005.
* In the New Century ( _ru. В новом веке) 2006.
* One Cannot Choose Times...(five decades) ( _ru. Времена не выбирают (пять десятилетий)) 2007.
Works in prose
* Apollo under Snow ( _ru. Апполон в снегу)
* Wave and Stone ( _ru. Волна и камень)
* The Fifth Element (selected verse and articles) ( _ru. Пятая стихия)
His numerous awards include the Russian National Award (1996) and the prestigious
Pushkin Prizefor poetry, bestowed on him by Russian president Vladimir Putinin 2001. [http://www.india.mid.ru/ed24.html]
*«North Palmira» (1995).
*Award of "Novii Mir" magazine(1997).
*Tepfer fond Pushkin award(1998).
*Award of Tsarskoe selo(2004).
* [http://www.norden.ee/poetry/2004/indexen.php?file=aleksander_en Short biography]
* [http://www.amazon.com/Petersburg-Perspectives-Frank-Althaus/dp/1861542607 Petersburg Perspectives] : Alexander Kushner has been described by Joseph Brodsky as one of the best lyric poets of the twentieth century
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.