Name = Keratoconjunctivitis
ICD10 = H16.2
ICD9 = ICD9|370.40
inflammation("itis") of the corneaand conjunctiva.
When only the
corneais inflamed, it is called " keratitis"; when only the conjunctivais inflamed, it is called " conjunctivitis".
There are several potential causes of the inflammation:
Keratoconjunctivitis siccais used when the inflammation is due to dryness. ("Sicca" means "dryness" in medical contexts.)
* The term "Vernal keratoconjunctivitis" (VKC) is used to refer to keratoconjunctivitis occurring in spring, and is usually considered to be due to
* "Atopic keratoconjunctivitis" is one manifestation of
* "Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis" is caused by an
Infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis" (IBK) is a disease affecting cattle caused by the bacteria Moraxella bovis.
Superior limbic keratoconjuctivitis" is thought to be caused by mechanical trauma.
* "Keratoconjunctivitis photoelectrica" (
arc eye) means inflammation caused by UV light. This can be caused, by example, by weldingwithout wearing protective eye glass. The inflammation will only appear after about 6 to 12 hours. It can be treated by rest, as the inflammation usually heals after 24-48 hours. Proper eye protection should be worn to prevent keratoconjunctivitis photoelectrica.
* [http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/nord/nord562.htm BC Health Guide -- Vernal keratoconjunctivitis]
* [http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic102.htm eMedicine -- on Atopic keratoconjunctivitis]
* [http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic677.htm eMedicine -- on Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.