- Education in Liberia
Education in Liberia was severely affected by the
First Liberian Civil Warand Second Liberian Civil War, between 1989 and 2003.
Historically, from 1862 to the outbreak of the war in the 1980s, higher education in the country centered around:
* Liberia College, the precursor to the
University of Liberia
* Cuttington Collegiate College, the precursor to
Cuttington University College
* Harper Technical College (founded in 1971), renamed to
William V. S. Tubman College of Technologyin 1978
higher educationin Liberiais decentralized. The difference between a centralized and decentralized higher education system might be illustrated by the difference between the decentralized Ivy Leaguein America and the centralized University of California System.
In addition to the above-named colleges, there also exist:
AME University(African Methodist Episcopal University)
* Don Bosco Technical College
Liberia has 2 public Rural Teacher Training Institutes.
* [http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/soe/cihe/inhea/profiles/Liberia.htm INHEA (International Network for Higher Education in Africa) profile of Liberia]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.