- Soy yogurt
Soy yogurt, (Soya yoghurt in British English) also referred to as Soygurt or Yofu (a
portmanteauof "yoghurt" and "tofu"), is yoghurtprepared using soy milk, yogurt bacteria, mainly Lactobacillus bulgaricusand Streptococcus thermophilusand sometimes additional sweetener, like fructose, glucose, honeyor raw sugar[ [http://www.soya.be/soy-yogurt.php Soy yogurt ] ] .It is suitable for vegans, as the bacteriafor shop-bought soy yoghurt are usually not grown on a dairy base.
Soy yoghurt can be prepared at home using the same method as dairy yoghurt [ [http://www.soya.be/how-to-make-soy-yogurt.php How to make soy yogurt ] ] . One tablespoon of sugar per 1 litre of unsweetened, soy milk may be added to promote bacterial fermentation and to improve flavour. Soy milk on its own lacks the
lactose(milk sugar) that is the basic food for the yoghurt bacteria.
Soy yoghurt has a mild acidic taste, similar to dairy yoghurt. Soy yoghurt may have a slight beany
soytaste when made directly from freshly prepared soymilk, but this is less pronounced in shop-bought soy yoghurt and in soy yoghurt made from commercial soy milk.
Soy yoghurt contains less fat than its dairy counterpart. This amounts to about 2.7% (the same percentage as soy milk) [ [http://www.soya.be/nutritional-values-of-soy-yogurt.php Nutritional values of soy yogurt ] ] .
* [http://www.plantfoods.org/demos/soya_yoghurt/index.html Step-by-step guide to making Soy Yogurt - plantfoods.org]
* [http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/09/greek-style-soy-yogurt-or-soy-yogurt.html Soy yogurt recipe 1 - blog.fatfreevegan.com]
* [http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1999382.htm Soy yogurt recipe 2 - bryannaclarkgrogan.com]
* [http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/soyyogurt.htm Soy yogurt recipe 3 - hillbillyhousewife.com]
* [http://www.soya.be/how-to-make-soy-yogurt.php Soy yogurt recipe 4 - soya.be]
* [http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Soy-Yogurt Soy yoghurt recipe 5 -Wikihow]
* [http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=10548 Health benefits of soy yoghurt]
* [http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=74159-probiotics-yoghurts-soy# Scientists expand probiotic soy yoghurt potential]
* [http://www.slashfood.com/2006/11/13/soy-yogurt-may-help-control-type-2-diabetes-and-high-blood-press/ Soy Yogurt may help control type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.