- White-bellied Parrot
name = White-bellied Parrot
status = LC | status_system = IUCN3.1
tribus = Arini
genus = "Pionites"
species = "P. leucogaster"
binomial = "Pionites leucogaster"
binomial_authority = (Kuhl, 1820)
synonyms = The White-bellied Parrot ("Pionites leucogaster"), in
avicultureoften referred to as the White-bellied Caique, is one of the two species in the genus "Pionites" of the Psittacidaefamily; the other species being the allopatric Black-headed Parrot. Both species are popular as pets
It is found in humid forest and nearby wooded habitats in the Amazon south of the
Amazon Riverin Bolivia, Brazil, and Peru. It is generally fairly common throughout its range and is easily seen in a wide range of protected areas, such as the Manú National Parkand Tambopata-Candamoin Peru, Cristalino State Park (near Alta Floresta), Xingu National Parkand Amazônia National Parkin Brazil, and Madidi National Parkin Bolivia.
The White-bellied Parrot has an orange-yellow head and vent, a white belly, green wings and back, bluish primary feathers, a pinkish-horn beak, and pinkish legs and feet. Juveniles have brownish or black feathers on the head and nape, yellow feathers on the white belly, and greyish legs. Generally, the off-colored feathers will be lost and replaced by orange or white feathers respectively as the bird matures. Young birds also have dark brown
irises, which will change to a rust or orange with age.
* Green-thighed Parrot/Caique ("Pionites leucogaster leucogaster"). Found in the eastern part of its range. It has green thighs and upper tail.
* Yellow-thighed Parrot/Caique ("P. l. xanthomerius"). Found in western part of its range. It has yellow thighs and green upper tail.
* Yellow-tailed Parrot/Caique ("P. l. xanthurus"). Found in the central part of its range. It has yellow thighs and upper tail.
The Yellow-thighed is the subspecies most commonly kept as a pet in the United States. The Green-thighed is somewhat rare in captivity, and Yellow-tailed is very rare in captivity.
* BirdLife International 2004. [http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/48085/all Pionites leucogaster] . [http://www.iucnredlist.org 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. ] Downloaded on 24 July 2007.
* Collar, N. (1997). "Pionites leucogaster" (White-bellied Parrot). Pp. 457 in: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., & Sargatal, J. eds (1997). "Handbook of the Birds of the World." Vol. 4. Sangrouse to Cuckoos. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. ISBN 84-87334-22-9
* Parr, M., & Juniper, T. (1998). "A Guide to the Parrots of the World". Pica Press, East Sussex. ISBN 1-873403-40-2
* Schulenberg, T., Stotz, D. Lane, D., O'Neill, J, & Parker, T. (2007). "Birds of Peru". Helm, London. ISBN 978-0-7136-8673-9
* Sigrist, T. (2006). "Aves do Brasil - Uma Visão Artistica". ISBN 85-905074-1-6
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.