- First, Break All the Rules
name = First, Break All the Rules
image_caption = Book Cover
Marcus Buckingham& Curt Coffman
language = English
Management, Employee satisfaction, Motivating workers
Simon & Schuster
release_date = May, 1999
media_type = Print,
pages = 271
isbn = ISBN 0-684-85286-1
First, Break All the Rules (1999) is a book authored by
Marcus Buckinghamand Curt Coffman who try to offer solutions to better employee satisfaction with the help of examples of how the best managershandle employees. The book gained popularity among managers since its release. The subtitle of the book is: "What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently."
Marcus Buckinghamand Curt Coffman tackle the fallacies of standard managementthinking and how good managerscreate and sustain employee satisfaction in First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently. The book is a result of observations based on 80,000 interviewswith managers [ [http://www.marcusbuckingham.com/books/break-rules.php Marcus Buckingham | First, Break All The Rules ] ] as conducted by the Gallup Organizationin the last 25 years. The core of the matter lies in how these managers have debunked old mythsabout management and how they created new truths on obtaining and keeping talented people in their organization. Some key ideas of the book include what the best managers do and don’t do: they treat every employee as an individual; they don’t try to fix weaknesses, but instead focus on strengths and talent; and they find ways to measure, count, and reward outcomes.
According to the authors, the basic things all managers should know are what the employee is expected to do, how to equip him to do it, and how to give praise for a job well done.
* [http://www.managementhelp.org/guiding/motivate/basics.htm Helpful info on how to motivate your employees]
* [http://gmj.gallup.com/book_center/FBATR/default.aspx More info about the book at Gallup Management site]
* [http://www.bizsum.com/articles/art_first-break-all-the-rules.php A summary of the book at Bizsum]
* [http://www.leadershipnow.com/leadershop/5286-1.html Description and reviews of the book from Leadership Now]
* [http://www.amazon.com/First-Break-All-Rules-Differently/dp/0684852861 Amazon.com reviews]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.