- Château de Guirbaden
The Château de Guirbaden (or Girbaden) is a ruined castle in the commune of Mollkirch in the Bas-Rhin département of France.
It is situated in the Guirbaden forest, near the village of Mollkirch on the left bank of the Magel River, at an altitude of 565 m. The castle covers a larger area than any other in Alsace. Dating from the 11th century, over more than 500 years it suffered several attacks, destructions and reconstructions.
Privately owned, it has been listed since 1898 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.
Notes and references
- Ministry of Culture database entry for Château de Guirbaden (French)
- Ministry of Culture photos
- Description and history of the castle on Chateau.over-blog.net (French)
- Unofficial site (French)
- Numerous photos
- This article incorporates information from this version of the equivalent article on the French Wikipedia.
Coordinates: 48°29′37″N 7°22′13″E / 48.49361°N 7.37028°ECategories:
- Châteaux in Bas-Rhin
- Official historical monuments of France
- Imperial castles
- French castle stubs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.