HECToR (High End Computing Terascale Resources) is a
UKacademic national supercomputerservice procured by EPSRCon behalf of the UKacademic community. The HECToR service is run by a consortium including EPCC, STFC and Numerical Algorithms Group( NAG). The supercomputer itself (a Cray XT4) is located at the University of Edinburghin Scotland. The first phase came online in October, 2007, and has a peak performance of around 60 teraFLOPS. The second phase is planned for October 2009, with a peak performance around 250 TeraFLOPS, and the third phase is planned for 2011.
At start of operations, HECToR featured 60
Cray XT4cabinets connected to 576 terabytes of backing storage. HECToR is scheduled to be upgraded in September, 2008, with the addition of Cray X2nodes. Backing storage is planned to increase to 934 terabytes by the end of the first phase.
operating systemis UNICOS/lc. A variety of applications, compilers and utilities are available to users.
* [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/02/computing.climatechange Inside the UK's fastest machine] (James Randerson, "Guardian", Wed 2 Jan 2008)
* [http://www.hector.ac.uk/ Official HECToR website]
* [http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/ EPSRC website]
* [http://www.nag.co.uk/ Numerical Algorithms Group (NAG) Ltd website]
* [http://www.cray.com/ Cray website]
* [http://www.stfc.ac.uk/ STFC website]
* [http://www.ed.ac.uk/ University of Edinburgh website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.