- Albert Lilar
Lilar was a renowned lawyer of Admiralty and International
Private Lawin Antwerp, and Chairman of the International Maritime Committee. He was also a Professor of Law at the Université Libre de Bruxellesand the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. He was the husband of the writer Suzanne Lilar, and father of the writer Françoise Mallet-Joris(b. 1930) and the 18th century art historianMarie Fredericq-Lilar (b. 1934). In his political life, Lilar was a liberal senatorof the ArrondissementAnwerp (1946-1971) and four times Minister of Justice(1946-1947, 1949-1950, 1954-1958 en 1960-1961). He became Minister of Statein 1969. Under the Gaston EyskensGovernment (1958-1960), Lilar was vice-president of the Cabinet. As Vice-Premier, he was elected president of the Round Tablein 1960 whose discussions lead to the independence of the Belgian Congo. A great humanistand defender of human rights, no death penalties were carried out under his terms as minister of justice.
The Albert Lilar Prize from the Comité Maritime International is awarded for a leading work on maritime law published in any language in the world during the previous five years.
* [http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:zgwqF-m_S6oJ:www.liberaalarchief.be/invlilar.pdf+%22Albert+Lilar%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us Biography and Inventory of the Liberal Archives Albert Lilar] (in Dutch)
* [http://www.congoforum.be/fr/congodetail.asp?subitem=21&id=22253&Congofiche=selected The Round Table - Congo]
* [http://lepotentiel.com/afficher_article.php?id_edition=&id_article=4522 More on The Round Table - Congo]
* [http://188.8.131.52/search?q=cache:Z4GaQFKOEWwJ:ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Files/1957_9_WestEurope.pdf+%22albert+Lilar%22+politics&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11&gl=us Postwar Western Europe 1955-1956]
* [http://184.108.40.206/search?q=cache:5hM5z33f47sJ:ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Files/1958_8_WestCurope.pdf+%22albert+Lilar%22+politics&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us Postwar Western Europe 1956-1957]
* [http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:qQSQQcOi-FUJ:www.dekamer.be/kvvcr/pdf_sections/comm/lmb/312_7_page_577_to_652.pdf+%22albert+Lilar%22+congo&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=20&gl=us Independence of the Belgian Congo]
* [http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:-1j8XJZ4I4sJ:www.cegesoma.be/invent/RapportsIndicateurSipo-SD_AA1688.pdf Anti-Nazi activities 1936-1939]
* [http://users.skynet.be/sb176943/AndriesVandenAbeele/AVDA282.htm Freemasonry during Nazi domination in Belgium]
* [http://www.faib.org/book/print/1 FAIB website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.