- Lewis Manilow
Lewis Manilow (born August 1927,
Chicago, Illinois) is an American attorney, real estate developer, and arts patron. He is known as one of the founders of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, and as a principal backer and longtime honorary president of Chicago's Goodman Theatre. He was also the developer of the town of University Park, Illinois, where he was instrumental in the creation of the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park, a monumental internationally recognized outdoor sculpturepark at Governors State University.
Manilow was one of the producers of the film
The Next Best Thing(2000). He is a longtime supporter of Democratic political candidates including Hillary Clintonand Barack Obama.
Manilow is a lifetime trustee of the
Art Institute of Chicago, served as a member of the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy, and serves on the boards of the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, the Progressive Policy Institute, the Visiting Committee of the University of Chicago's Harris School of Public Policy, and the Executive Committee of the Chicago Community Trust. Manilow was awarded the National Medal of Artsin 2000.
* [http://www.state.gov/r/adcompd/commbrs.html U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy profile]
* [http://webserve.govst.edu/sculpture/history.html Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park profile (Governors State University)]
* [http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/legisnet92/hrgroups/hr/920HR0173LV.html 2001 Illinois Legislature resolution honoring Lewis Manilow]
* [http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23480 "What's a Dem donor to do?" "Chicago Business", Jan. 15, 2007]
* [http://www.spongobongo.com/ns/sny9973.htm "17th C. West Anatolian Coupled-Column Prayer Rug Probably Oushak From the Lewis Manilow Collection"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.