- Topic outline of forestry
:"For a more comprehensive list, see the
List of forestry topics." Forestry is the art, science, and practice of studying and managing forests and tree plantations, and related natural resources. A practitioner of forestry is known as a forester. Forests have come to be seen as one of the most important components of the biosphere, and forestry has emerged as a vital field of science, applied art, and technology. Modern forestry generally concerns itself with: assisting forests to provide timberas raw material for woodproducts; wildlifehabitat; natural waterquality regulation; recreation; landscape and community protection; employment; aesthetically appealing landscapes; biodiversitymanagement; watershed management; and a 'sink' for atmospheric carbon dioxide.
Essence of forestry
Forest- Forester Tree- Lumber- Ecosystem- Natural resource
Basic forestry concepts
Clearcutting- Forest farming- Logging- Park- Reforestation- Plantation - Forest management- Variable retention- Selection cutting- Conservation ethic- Preservation-- Ecoforestry- High grading- Optimal rotation age
Deforestation- Wildfire- Illegal logging- Wood_pulp#Effluents from pulp mills- Desertification- Slash
Wood- Paper- Wood pulp- Lumber- Biomass- Wood fuel- Firewood- Tar- Tall oil- Pinenes - Creosote- Charcoal- Biomass
Multiple use:: Recreation- Hunting- Backpacking - Hiking- Wildlife
Biltmore stick- Chainsaw- Skidder- Harvester - Pesticide- Herbicide
Ecological succession- Old growth forest- Secondary forest- Monocultures Rainforest Pulpwood- Softwood- Hardwood
History of forestry
: "Main article: History of forestry"
Leaders in forestry
Branches of forestry
Silviculture- Urban forestry- Sustainable forestry-
Ecology- Conservation biology- Environmental Science- Botany- Soil science
: "Main article:
List of forestry topics"
Pulp and paper industry
Pulp and paper industry in Canada
Pulp and paper industry in Europe
Pulp and paper industry in Japan
Pulp and paper industry in the United States
* [http://bookstore.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/ An online bookstore of free Canadian Forestry publications]
* [http://ec.europa.eu/comm/agriculture/fore/index_en.htm EU forestry strategy] .
* [http://www.euractiv.com/en/sustainability/eu-forest-action-plan/article-156911 EU forestry strategy - links to stakeholder positions] .(EurActiv)
* [http://www.forestry.ubc.ca UBC Forestry]
* [http://www.iufro.org/ International Union of Forest Research Organizations]
* [http://www.fao.org/forestry/foris/webview/forestry2/index.jsp?geoId=0&langId=1&siteId=1180 FAO forestry education institutions database]
* [http://www.istf-bethesda.org/about_istf-eng.htm International Society for Tropical Foresters]
* [http://www.cfa-international.org Commonwealth Forestry Association]
* [http://www.forestry.gov.uk/ The Forestry Commission]
* [http://www.forestguild.org/ The Forestry Guild]
* [http://www.fs.fed.us/ USDA Forest Service]
* [http://www.safnet.org/ Society of American Foresters]
* [http://www.forestryimages.org Forestry Images]
* [http://www.cif-ifc.org The Canadian Institute of Forestry]
* [http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca The Canadian Forest Service]
* [http://www.woodcollectors.org International Wood Collectors Society]
* [http://www.xiloteca.com Xiloteca Manuel Soler] (One of the largest private collection of wood samples)
* [http://www.forestryhorizons.eu Forestry Horizons] An independent forestry policy think-tank aiming to make woodlands more valuable.
* [http://russia-ic.com/business_law/in_depth/257/ Forestry Code in Russia: to rent but not to own]
* [http://www.icfre.org Forestry Research Institute, India]
* [http://www.rainforest-alliance.org Rainforest Alliance]
* [http://foper.unu.edu UNU Open Educational Resource on Forestry, Forest Economics and Forest Policy]
* [http://www.forestry.gov.uk Forestry Commission GB]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.