- Boonesborough, Kentucky
Boonesborough is an unincorporated community in Madison County,
Kentucky, United States. It lies in the central part of the state along the Kentucky River. Boonesborough is part of the Richmond–Berea Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Founded by legendary frontiersman
Daniel Boonewhen he worked for Richard Henderson of the Transylvania Company. Boone led a group of settlers through the mountains from Fort Watauga(at present day Elizabethton, Tennessee) and carving out the Wilderness Roadthrough the Cumberland Gapand established Fort Boonesborough. Boone lived there from 1775 to 1779. Boonesborough was the first charteredtown in Kentucky, and one of the first English speaking communities settled west of the Appalachian Mountains. Boone successfully led his fellow settlers during the siege of Boonesboroughin 1778. However, the attacks from the natives became too much for the band of settlers and the fort was eventually abandoned.
Boonesborough is the site of
Fort Boonesborough State Park, which includes the Kentucky River Museum. It has been rebuilt to look like a working fort of the days when Boone resided there. Living history weekends are sponsored throughout the year.
*Ranck, George W. "Boonesborough: Its Founding, Pioneer Struggles, Indian Experiences, Transylvania Days, and Revolutionary Annals". Louisville, 1901. Reprinted by Arno Press, 1971.
* [http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/recparks/fb/ Fort Boonesborough State Park] official web site.
* [http://www.fortboonesboroughfoundation.org Fort Boonesborough Foundation]
* [http://www.fortboonesboroughlivinghistory.org Fort Boonesborough Living History]
* [http://www.uky.edu/KentuckyAtlas/ky-boonesborough.html Boonesborough Map]
* [http://scgen.org/books/boones.htm Boonesborough Historical Society]
* [http://www.geocities.com/boonesborough/frenchtipton.html List of Boonesborough Pioneers]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.