- Wilkie, Saskatchewan
Wilkie is a town in
Saskatchewan, Canadalocated at Section 5, Township 40, Range 19, West of the 3rd Meridian. On February 2, 1907the first post office was established with the name "Glenlogan" at Section 4, Township 40, Range 19, West of the 3rd Meridian. The post office changed names on October 1, 1908to Wilkie. Wilkie was once home to "The World's Largest Grasshopper" (a roadside attraction), which used to be located in front of the town rink and hall.
Wilkie was a station on the
Canadian Pacific Railway, line from Portage la Prairie, via Saskatoon to Edmonton, 160 kilometers west of Saskatoon. Wilkie was also the starting point of Canadian Pacific's Reford Branch, to Kerrobert, convert|44.6|mi|km|1 to the southwest, and of the Kelfield Branch, of the CPR, to Kelfield, convert|35.4|mi|km|1 northwest.
Wilkie is home to Norman Carter Elementary School (k–6) and McLurg High School (7–12). A Catholic School (k-9) is named after the patron saint of Canada, St. George; after grade 9 the students attend the McLurg High School.
*Lat (DMS) 52°25′00″ N
*Long (DMS) - 108°42′00″ W
*Time zone (est) UTC-6
North: Coleville | Beaufield West: Bush | Phippen Wilkie Glenlogan East: St. Alphege | Red Pheasant South: Reford | Brass
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~canmaps/RandMcNally1924/RandMcNallyMap.html Saskatchewan, Canada, Rand McNally 1924 Indexed Pocket Map Tourists' and Shippers' Guide]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~canmaps/1925Waghorn/ Canadian Maps: January 1925 Waghorn's Guide. Post Offices in Man. Sask. Alta. and West Ontario.]
* [http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php Geographical Names of Canada Querying Geographical Names of Canada - Query by name]
* [http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/grasshopper.htm World's Largest Grasshopper]
* [http://www.townofwilkie.com/frames.html Town of Wilkie]
* [http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2477 Wilkie, Saskatchewan, 1908-1988. Volume 1]
* [http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2476 Wilkie, Saskatchewan, 1908-1988. Volume 2]
* [http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/post-offices/001001-100.01-e.php Post Offices and Postmasters - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~cansk/school/Regional/w.html Saskatchewan Gen Web - One Room School Project - City, Town, Village Schoolhouse Listing]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Eskstjose/stjosephs/mainsection/cemeteries/wilkie.html St. Joseph's Colony - Wilkie Cemetery - Wilkie]
* [http://www.lskysd.ca/schools/ Living Sky School Division No. 202 - School List and Map]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.